PDA

View Full Version : welded receivers

seaninmich
09-24-2011, 08:37 PM
I'll preface by saying I am not a metallurgist and I know exactly NOTHING about welding.

BUT.....

I just watched an episode of SONS OF GUNS where they welded together the receiver of a 20mm anti tank rifle. The receiver was chopped right in two (or maybe 3) pieces. They welded that thing up and it ran like a champ.

So, if these guys will weld up a chopped receiver and shoot 20mm rounds, surely a properly welded garand shooting surplus '06 cannot be a "bomb waiting to go off"

Punch The Clown
09-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Bro, I'm waiting for someone to start converting M1 receivers to M14's. Rumor has it.

Orlando
09-24-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm with ya Sean, done properly I'm sure they are fine. Problem is how do you tell the good from the bad??

seaninmich
09-24-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm with ya Sean, done properly I'm sure they are fine. Problem is how do you tell the good from the bad??

these guys just tested it with a simple ultrasound to check for voids, cracks, or flaws.

timshufflin
09-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Saw the episode. Here's the line that every supposed "ethical" smith uses on the victim, " do you want a 50,000 psi bomb going off next to your head?". I've even heard some use that to get people to lap bolts.

dan
09-24-2011, 11:09 PM
In the case of the M1 the bolt lugs lock into the forward part of the receiver so THEORETICALLY the "original" ignition-containment properties of a complete rifle would remain intact.

How lucky do you feel?

Orlando
09-25-2011, 08:14 AM
these guys just tested it with a simple ultrasound to check for voids, cracks, or flaws.

ya but thats the thing, how many Garand welded receivers were ever tested? If done correctly and tested I wouldnt worry about about it, otherwise I like my pretty face to much to take a chance:)

seaninmich
09-25-2011, 08:39 AM
sure, but I'm thinking of two aspects of the whole "welded receiver" panic: the actual weld and the heat issue.

The weld itself may, or may not, be an issue. The heat treatment must not be any kind of an issue. So, I am comfortable saying that the drill rifles with the tack weld on the barrel are perfectly safe to fire. agree?

Orlando
09-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Heck I dont know, makes my head spin. What you are saying makes sense

Prince Humperdink
09-25-2011, 12:01 PM
sure, but I'm thinking of two aspects of the whole "welded receiver" panic: the actual weld and the heat issue.

The weld itself may, or may not, be an issue. The heat treatment must not be any kind of an issue. So, I am comfortable saying that the drill rifles with the tack weld on the barrel are perfectly safe to fire. agree?

I agree,and I shoot one all the time.As far as welded receivers go,I put many rounds through one that You could see light through(no,I am not recommending this) without issue.The locking lug recesses were not messed with so it was "all Good".

Rush2112
09-25-2011, 02:00 PM
This makes sense.

.... The locking lug recesses were not messed with so it was "all Good".
I would suspect that the rear holds the trigger group and shouldn't be subjected to the high pressures, and if everything lines up, should be GTG?

... Problem is how do you tell the good from the bad??
How are Golden State receivers?
I know of one, looks fine and shoots 2MOA, but am hesitant to play with it....

Troy