PDA

View Full Version : Update to my story a couple weeks ago....

howie
12-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Guys, I posted this a few minutes ago on facebook......Thought some of you might like to see it. I did make a boo boo, though....we delivered Thursday night, not Friday.

You may recall a story I posted a couple weeks ago about a woman with two kids who gave my wife the simplest of Christmas lists after my wife had told her we wanted to help her out. I'm happy to report we delivered Friday night. The bed of my truck was completely full of items that had been donated...everything from toilet paper and children's tylenol to clothes, blankets and towels, to toys, backpacks and socks. We were also able to provide, through cash donations, gift cards to Hy-vee, Walmart and Walgreens. She was speechless. She was totally shocked. We didn't stick around long, but my wife did go inside for a couple minutes. We had everything boxed up, so she really didn't know what all she had.

She called my wife yesterday. We missed the call, but she left a message, thanking everyone who contributed for making Christmas brighter for her children and her. She also wanted Sheila to pass on her Christmas wishes to all involved. I'm assuming they won't open the wrapped items until tomorrow, and I can only imagine how they will feel. Some items we received were already wrapped, but most we wrapped ourselves, and let me tell you.....in spite of what you may see on TV, or read in the newspapers, the spirit of Christmas is alive and well here in Fulton, Peoria and Tazewell County, in Kentucky, Ohio, New York and Louisiana. To the staff of Illinois River Correctional Center, to Loretta and Krista for helping coordinate, to our scouting friends from Troops 102 and 106, and friends of theirs, to the guys who know me only from an internet gun forum I frequent, to any and all who assisted with this little project....on behalf of my wife, and the woman and her family, I say "Thank you!!!" You have no idea how much the contribution you gave made a difference to this woman and her children. May God Bless each and every one of you who played a part in this.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

timshufflin
12-24-2011, 07:24 PM
How, I'm so glad you all could do this for this woman. I only wish the government would do more for these folks, it's a shame things are like this.

Cal30M1
12-24-2011, 07:42 PM
"Are there no prisons? Are there no work houses?"

(Sorry. I've seen like 10 adaptations this year and I can quote Scrooge verbatim.)

Orlando
12-25-2011, 07:31 AM
Howie
Thanks for keeping the Spirit of Christmas alive and helping our fellow man, or woman :)

Punch The Clown
12-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Good job Howie!