PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!

dogboysdad
01-04-2012, 08:20 AM
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mn0KBzK2Kho&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mn0KBzK2Kho&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

Orlando
01-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Saw that, wouldnt have been a squib. Maybe bad reloads?

jak
01-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Would the bolt not being fully closed cause the same results ?

timshufflin
01-04-2012, 10:56 AM
What we know about the incident;

-Ammo (The ammo has been called newer ammo by the shooter, this tells us nothing)
-The 7th round (We have not been shown the 7th round taken out of the rifle so we know nothing about if the bullet is actually on the cartridge)
-What does newer ammo mean? Newer reloads or newer commercial.

We know nothing.

Orlando
01-04-2012, 11:21 AM
What we know about the incident;

-Ammo (The ammo has been called newer ammo by the shooter, this tells us nothing)
-The 7th round (We have not been shown the 7th round taken out of the rifle so we know nothing about if the bullet is actually on the cartridge)
-What does newer ammo mean? Newer reloads or newer commercial.

We know nothing.

But would a squib cause such a catastrophic falure??

timshufflin
01-04-2012, 11:23 AM
But would a squib cause such a catastrophic falure??

I don't know, never seen someone shoot a rifle with a squib in it. I would also imagine it matters where the squib is located in the barrel.

Orlando
01-04-2012, 11:39 AM
I have never seen one in person but seen pictures and never saw such damage.
Only Garands I have seen (again in pictures) that came apart like the one in the video was from bad reloads, ammo.
Would a out of battery cause damage this severe?

Prince Humperdink
01-04-2012, 01:08 PM
I can tell You that My 1917did that from just stuck jackets from separation about 1" from chamber.

canes7
01-04-2012, 01:42 PM
To truly determine what happened I think you'd have to talk to the shooter and the ammo provider, inspect the pieces of the rifle and watch that video a few more times.

Right now I'm leaning towards case failure due to ab OOB situation. I would think if there was a bullet stuck in the throat from removing the 7th round that the bolt would no close far enough to rotate the tail of the firing pin into position. It's not a slam-fire either, someone will suggest that I am sure.

Schriv
01-04-2012, 03:32 PM
I've seen pics of barrels that were bulged from firing through a stuck bullet from a previous squib round. But both rounds exited and left the bulge behind.
And I've personally seen the end of a barrel ruptured from the same thing. It split along the length of the barrel. It almost looked like one of those old cartoon guns that peel back when Daffy Duck sticks his finger in the muzzle. But I've never seen a rifle blow up at the receiver from that. That is usually some problem with the locking or chambering process.
At least she appears to be ok.

Cal30M1
01-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Holy SHEET Bat Man! :eek:

wgandy
01-13-2012, 10:23 PM
If appears to me that she slowly allows the bolt to close with her hand after taking the 7th round out. I can't see whether that round has the bullet still in it. Maybe it's a squib & maybe not. Unknown from the video.

IF the bolt did not close completely, could that cause an out of battery event? I thought Mr. Garand designed it so that the hammer would not strike the firing pin unless it was fully in battery.

For those of you who are far more knowledgable about this than I am, how "close" to battery does the bolt have to be before the hammer will strike the firing pin?