PDA

View Full Version : M1 .308 will not pick up next round

cat1870
05-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Hello All:
I had my M1 rebarreled recently to .308 & have just returned from the range. Accuracy was good with 8 rounds staying within 2.5 to 3.5 inches at 100 yards. Bench Rested.
Ammo used was:
LC NM 06.
Rem. 150 grain 308 sporting ammo.
175 Match bullets with CCI200, 36-37 grains of W748, LCNM79 brass.
Speer 150 Gr with 44 Gr. W748 LCNM 79 brass.
Speer 150 Gr with 39.1 Gr IMR4064 LCNM 79 brass.
Also a bunch of LC 66 ammo......

I also installed a Shuster adjustable gas plug & followed his written instructions prior to going to the range.
Now the problem:
The 1st shot didn't cycle and that's what I expected. Every shot thereafter, even with adjusting the adjustment screw, would not pick up the next round, even tho it would eject the fire case. I used a S.L.E.D., a regular enblock 8 Rd. and a 2 Rd enblock. All with the same results.

Anyone have any idea why it won't pick up the next round? Before it was rebarreled it worked great....

Thanks,
Gary

Punch The Clown
05-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Gas port too small? Need Tim on this.

timshufflin
05-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Sir, I can only speak for myself so I would say to just have the person who did the rebarrel fix it. I know if it were me, I'd want to find out what I did wrong or overlooked. If you had the builder test fire and build the rifle, he should fix it. If you just had them screw a barrel on, call the builder and ask for advice. I say all this knowing full well that I could be the builder and my advice could cost me money :)

Here's a couple of things to check for your short stroking problem;
1. Was the rifle built up with the builder having the stock? The rifle may have worked for the builder and then you put a stock on it and it could be rubbing.
2. Does the rifle pass the tilt test while in the stock?
3. Did you try different enblocs?
4. What is the gas port size of your barrel. For that matter, what kind of barrel is it?
5. I personally like a 3/32 hole for a .308 barrel when using a Schuster.

timshufflin
05-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Oh, I know I know, it's the oprod spring, just kidding.

paid4c4
05-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Cat, if I haven't already welcomed you to this nut house, welcome. At times it's like an upholstered cesspool but we all have fun. I would want to check the gas system; hole, piston, adjustment of plug and while Timmy said is was kidding about op rod spring I would want to check it also. Good luck with your rifle.
Bill

timshufflin
05-05-2011, 11:08 PM
I really don't think it's the oprod spring. I refuse to believe it is :) Unless the spring is 25" long, I aint biting.

paid4c4
05-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Tim, I don't know if you've ever noticed but when I build a rifle I always start with a new stainless steel Orion 7 op rod spring. While it maybe overkill I've always thought new springs are just a good start. I also doubt it is the op rod spring however if you replace it with a new one you've eliminated one probable.
Bill

timshufflin
05-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Tim, I don't know if you've ever noticed but when I build a rifle I always start with a new stainless steel Orion 7 op rod spring. While it maybe overkill I've always thought new springs are just a good start. I also doubt it is the op rod spring however if you replace it with a new one you've eliminated one probable.
Bill

Oh, I have noticed sir and it's a good practice. There is one way it could be the spring, if the current spring is so weak that the bolt operates so quickly (no oprod spring resistance) that it flys right over the rounds before they can be pushed up (no spring pressure to push them up quick enough). I know it's possible but I'm just doubting it.

paid4c4
05-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Isn't it amazing how just one little thing can cause a weapon to function improperly. Today at the range my Glock 30 was trying to feed a round on top of another round. After looking things over I thought perhaps the ammo wasn't sending the slide back far enough to pickup the spent round, remove it and fling it. I was using Wolf (cheap for a reason). I went upstairs and bought a box of Winchester white box .45's. Loaded several mags and the pistol functioned properly until I loaded a mag with Wolf and it did the same thing. My Kimber does well with Wolf, Glock doesn't.
Bill

jjones
05-06-2011, 09:53 AM
does the rifle work with a regular gas plug? I had the same problem with the adjustable one, but the rifle worked with a regular plug.

timshufflin
05-06-2011, 10:25 AM
does the rifle work with a regular gas plug? I had the same problem with the adjustable one, but the rifle worked with a regular plug.

Darn good point, the plug could have a leak?

axemurderer
05-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Bill if that Wolf does not work send it to me. Works great im my revolver.

Mike

Isn't it amazing how just one little thing can cause a weapon to function improperly. Today at the range my Glock 30 was trying to feed a round on top of another round. After looking things over I thought perhaps the ammo wasn't sending the slide back far enough to pickup the spent round, remove it and fling it. I was using Wolf (cheap for a reason). I went upstairs and bought a box of Winchester white box .45's. Loaded several mags and the pistol functioned properly until I loaded a mag with Wolf and it did the same thing. My Kimber does well with Wolf, Glock doesn't.
Bill

Punch The Clown
05-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Well pilgrim, could be the op rod spring iffin it's too long I reckon.

cat1870
05-11-2011, 07:05 PM
The gas port is .076.

cat1870
05-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Gas Port is .076.
Passes the tilt test.
Don't know the barrel maker
Yes, tried different enblocks.
Rifle worked great when it was a .30-06. Think the gas port is the problem.
Going to the range tomorrow and use the original gas nut and use some NM ammo I have.

timshufflin
05-11-2011, 07:18 PM
I believe the 3/32 hole is .093 I really like that size as it seems to work well with even the weakest ammo.

timshufflin
05-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Your hole is the same as a 30/06 hole sir and I've seen new barrels come in that size. Some stuff will cycle if everything is perfect but this stuff is OLD. Go 3/32

cat1870
05-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Tim,
Don't call me sir. Don't know who yer talkin to when you do that...
Will open the port to .093 tonight. If all works ok I'd like to send it to you for a repark.

Thanks,

Gary

timshufflin
05-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Mr. Gary, I just hope I'm not the one who installed the barrel. If it was me the only thing I can say is that it must have cycled with M80 spec ammo. That's the 308 I use for testing.

cat1870
05-11-2011, 09:46 PM
No Mr. Tim, it wasn't done by you.
The smith who installed it said he headspaced the barrel but didn't test fire it.
I worked in a gunshop as a part time job for years in the 80s and 90s and whenever a new barrel was installed it was always test fired. I can't imagine not test firing a new barrel when it's installed.
Anyway.........I've opened the port to .093 and installed a new Dupage stock. Lets see what happens tomorrow.
This is my 1st experience working with the M1.

Mr. Gary

timshufflin
05-11-2011, 10:47 PM
No Mr. Tim, it wasn't done by you.
The smith who installed it said he headspaced the barrel but didn't test fire it.
I worked in a gunshop as a part time job for years in the 80s and 90s and whenever a new barrel was installed it was always test fired. I can't imagine not test firing a new barrel when it's installed.
Anyway.........I've opened the port to .093 and installed a new Dupage stock. Lets see what happens tomorrow.
This is my 1st experience working with the M1.

Mr. Gary

Shew! I'll bet she works now.

cat1870
05-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Problem solved..... Works like a champ.

timshufflin
05-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Praise God

cat1870
05-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Praise God

Thanks "Mr". Tim...
Hoping to shoot it in a service rifle match in the middle on June then off to you for a repark.

Mr. "G"

The Garand Guy
11-02-2011, 08:20 PM
the 308 barrels I have bought have the same size gas port hole as the M14/M1A. This works for them, because they have a short-stroke tappet gas system, which requires less gas pressure. This will not work for the Garand. You have to drill the gas port out with a #39 drill.

The Garand Guy
11-06-2011, 02:43 PM
The gas port hole for the .308 is drilled the same size as the M14/M1A, .076. This works for them, because they have the short-tappet principle, which requires less gas pressure. For the M1 Garand, you have to drill the gas port hole out to .092 with a #39 drill bit.

The Garand Guy
11-12-2011, 09:11 PM
The gas port hole is drilled to the spec of the M14/M1A. This works for them, because they have the short-stroke gas tappet principle. For the Garand, you have to drill the hole out to .090, with a #39 drill bit.