PDA

View Full Version : Which M1 Garand part equals a camshaft?

paid4c4
05-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Machinery of all types generally has one main or important part. It's often said that with an engine the camshaft is the heartbeat of the engine. Which part of an M1 Garand would be it's camshaft or important part. My guess is the gas cylinder, op rod or op rod spring. Any other guesses.

timshufflin
05-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Man Bill, that's a tough one. If we're talking about just making the Garand run, I'll say the oprod. The oprod has FIVE areas that can ruin your day;
1. Gas Piston
2. Correct Bend
3. Oprod catch area
4. Lug well for bolt
5. Oprod tab

That's 5 areas that have to be right or your SOL.

canes7
05-06-2011, 09:10 AM
What part of a Garand can't be removed and still have the rifle run? None. Every part is the heart of a Garand.

timshufflin
05-06-2011, 09:13 AM
What part of a Garand can't be removed and still have the rifle run? None. Every part is the heart of a Garand.

I can shoot a garand with NO;
Butt plate or its screws and all the handguard metal
Stock ferule
front sight
rear sight
lower band
handguards
safety
accelerator

I think that's about it.

REHRIFLE
05-06-2011, 09:41 AM
I vote for the bolt. With the gas sytem removed, the rifle would still fire, just not a semi. Remove the bolt and and you get no bang.

canes7
05-06-2011, 10:50 AM
I can shoot a garand with NO;
Butt plate or its screws and all the handguard metal
Stock ferule
front sight
rear sight
lower band
handguards
safety
accelerator

I think that's about it.

I dunno Tim....you talking about a pretty sorry Garand at that point. It might just be better off used as a club.

paid4c4
05-06-2011, 11:25 AM
I vote for the bolt. With the gas sytem removed, the rifle would still fire, just not a semi. Remove the bolt and and you get no bang.

I never thought about the bolt. You may have a really good point, you just want to make sure you stop the threat with the first shot.
Bill

Prince Humperdink
05-06-2011, 02:10 PM
I was kind of thinking that an OP rod would equate to a camshaft.If You think about it,You have the ammo(Fuel),this is ignited by firing mechanism(spark plugs/ignition system),the energy is used in the Gas cylinder to start the"Motions of funtion".Just as the camshaft has to turn in order to syncronize the valves and such to run,the op rod must move forward for the funtioning process to happen without fault.It could also be argued that the bolt would fill this spot,but I still equate the bolt to the delivery system(carb?throttle body)...anyhow,I'll stick with op rod as I have to choose one.

Prince Humperdink
05-06-2011, 02:18 PM

This is also true,but if the bolt is compromised/broke,there can be no delivery of "fuel"(like having gas,but no ignition system).If an op rod is damaged it can still function,just not properly.I have personally seen Vehicles still run with Camshaft broke in half,if Your bolt is not working to fire things up there is no function possible(other than a club).this is why I still say op rod...but then again,I am an Idiot and this may only make sense to Me?!!
Ryan

canes7
05-06-2011, 02:46 PM
You know what.. I'm going to change my answer to ammo. Ammo is the heart of a Garand. Followed closely by the bayonet and butt.

REHRIFLE
05-06-2011, 04:28 PM
You know what.. I'm going to change my answer to ammo. Ammo is the heart of a Garand. Followed closely by the bayonet and butt.

Ok then, I'm going to change mine to sling!!! Just choke the SOBs with it.

Punch The Clown
05-06-2011, 05:18 PM
I think removing the accelerator is an improvement.

Prince Humperdink
05-06-2011, 05:30 PM
I think removing the accelerator is an improvement.

Please explain why You think this?

Punch The Clown
05-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Because seating the enbloc doesn't release the bolt. You have to pull back the op rod after inserting the enbloc to release it.

Prince Humperdink
05-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Because seating the enbloc doesn't release the bolt. You have to pull back the op rod after inserting the enbloc to release it.

That could be a benefit .

Punch The Clown
05-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Ryan, it works just like the M14 when the accelerator is removed. If you have an old op rod catch around try it. Stu

paid4c4
05-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Stu, in other words you have a home made Holbrook Device?
Bill

Punch The Clown
05-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Stu, in other words you have a home made Holbrook Device?
Bill
Except the enbloc ejects after the last round. With the Holbrook they don't. I was thinking about getting a Holbrook.

paid4c4
05-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Stu, I have several of them and like them. I have a little AR in my hands and sometimes it's much easier to use a Holbrook. You want me to send you one to try out?
Bill

Punch The Clown
05-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Stu, I have several of them and like them. I have a little AR in my hands and sometimes it's much easier to use a Holbrook. You want me to send you one to try out?
Bill

Thanks Bill. I'm going to get one after I get my WRA stock. Thanks for the offer though. Stu