PDA

View Full Version : To G or not to G....

ronin
03-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Hey guys, been lurking for a while, but thought I'd post a question since I'm getting ready to send an M1 to Tim. Ok, I picked up a pretty clean T-26 Tanker in a trade. WWII Springfield reciever, with what appears to be an 80's Tanker kit from Springfield. It's in '06. I want to send it to Tim for a re-park since the former owner blued it(!) and it looks weird. So should I leave it as is, or do a G conversion? I really like the BM gas system versions guys are doing, and really want one, I'm finding it hard to send one of my original M1's to have it Gd, so I thought about doing this Tanker since it's non standard anyway. Always wanted a Tanker, and I like it...but.....those G's are the shizzle. Thanks for the input. Tim, and email and order form will be forthcoming!

ronin
03-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Oh and while I'm at it....'06 or .308? It's an '06 now.

buckshot85
03-28-2012, 04:49 PM
the "G" conversion is not permanent to the receiver. if i remember, swap out the barrel, op-rod spring and op-rod and it is back to a standard Garand. no receiver mods at all. i like the '06 round. always have. half a dozen of 1, six of the other. GO FOR IT. just my .02

LEAD POISON
03-28-2012, 06:08 PM
I had the "G" 30-06 Converted to Magazine .308 .I like it better with the magazine,

axemurderer
03-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Ronin

I now have one of each!!!!! It's the way to go.

Mike

Rush2112
03-29-2012, 01:50 AM
since it's a tanker, no worries.
Tim does excellent work, and you won't regret parking it.
or, you could put a brand new G barrel on it and have a tanker-shortie ;-)

06 or 308 is your preference, but the later can hold more for the zombies!

I vote: YES

either way, you'll want to post pics

grumpyoldretiredcop
03-29-2012, 02:55 AM
"Tankers" have the rep for being less than reliable. Tim's creation is the exact opposite - mine's been utterly reliable. Whether the original .30-06 or .308 is better is a question you'll have to ask yourself. I went with .308 as the base rifle's op rod had already been marked "7.62mm" and I'm glad I did. If you can afford to do the mag fed mod also, it'll be money well spent. The only reason I didn't was the money supply, I could only afford to "G" my rifle or mag-feed it. I'll let the picture say the rest...

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt279/grumpyoldretiredcop/Mini-G/Withbipodrightsidelarge.jpg

ronin
03-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the input! My Tanker has been reliable with the small amount of M2 I've run through it. I haven't done extensive accuracy testing, so I can't really comment there. Grumpy, I love your G, and the new one posted yesterday with the grey and black stock is awesome! I had planned to stay clip fed, as I have other stuff for zombies. As for '06 or 308, I'm still debating that. My op-rod is also marked "7.62/2" so I'm sure it would be no issue to convert it. Maybe I'll go the G route with the BM gas system and sell the Tanker parts I don't use? Oh and yes, I plan to do pics, before and after.....IF I can figure out that whole photobucket thing...

Eli
03-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Your op rod is from an Italian "Tipo II" conversion - the 1/2" shorter ones.

Eli

ronin
03-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Cool. I figured it was from conversion. Rare? Something I should save or ok to keep using?

grumpyoldretiredcop
03-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Mine is actually marked the same way and I didn't have a problem using it. IIRC, Sarco sold those parts kits for quite some time, not too rare and your op rod has already been bent for the Tanker mod.

ronin
03-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Yeah I remember Sarco selling them way back in the day. Always wanted one, but I really like the G too. I think I'm gonna leave this one in '06 and just have Tim park it. Already a supply of M2 ball going, and I do have some .308 so If I decide to do a G in .308, I have a head start on that. That'll give me time to scroung the rest of the parts I'll need for a G. Anyone done the side mount sling mod on the rear like the Berettas have? I have the front, side sling mount, looking to do the mod to the stock myself. Doesn't look all that hard....

mikebaker1129
04-07-2012, 05:31 PM
My .02 is ,I prefer the looks of the tanker without the little front handguard, so my nod goes to the "G" even though I do not have one. I have something similar with the BM59 gas system which I am very fond of. There should be some pics of my BM14 around here somewhere. It is a 17 " barreled receiver built with all BM59 parts,but uses M14 mags in a BM59 pistol grip folding stock. It is a nice little package.