PDA

View Full Version : Decision time......

M1orNone
06-12-2012, 04:39 PM
I want to build a rifle for my Dad, for Father's Day. I've narrowed down my choices to two, that I think he will like. Basically, I want to start out with a big box of parts, and build it myself. First is an AR15. He had a Colt CAR15 years ago, so I was thinking something along the lines of a Model 1 Sales XM177 upper. 11.5" barrel, with a 5.5" welded slot-style flash hider, and short triangle handguards, finished off with a stripped lower of any manufacture.

Second, I was thinking of picking up a HK91 parts set from Sarco, and a PRT-91 receiver from HKparts.net, and building one of those. Maybe a PSG-1-style stock too.

I'm really leaning towards the AR, if nothing else than there would be no worry about a fluted chamber like the 91 has.

What should I go with? I know he'd love either one.

mixmaster
06-12-2012, 05:01 PM
M1orNone
I think you would do best with the AR. Parts are readily available. And the cost of ammo would make it more user friendly.
I have built both and to be honest the 91 is long gone but I still have the AR. Cost of ammo and mags was the deciding factor. There are also many combination for the AR as to make it what ever your dad wants
Mix

M1orNone
08-06-2012, 07:29 PM
The build didn't happen when I thought it would, unfortunately. I've got my mind made up, though. XM177-style, with an A1 upper from tonyscustomuppers.com, and XM16E1-style lower from NoDak Spud.

timshufflin
08-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Whatever you do, darn nice fathers day present.

M1orNone
08-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Well, it finally happened.;) Worked out better than I could've possibly planned.

I was sitting here today, going over several different websites, planning on rounding up a bunch of parts. Something in the back of my mind said "call your favorite gun shop". So I did.

Came home with a Bushmaster XM15E2S. A1 upper with teardrop forward assist, 4-position stock, 16" barrel, 30rd mag, sling, hardcase, and 3 boxes of Wolf 55gr ammo, for $650 out the door.

Got back to town, went directly to Mom and Dad's house, and did the big reveal. Handed the little carbine to Dad. He said "that's a sweet little gun. You should have a lot of fun with it."

I told him "well, you'll have more fun with it than I will. It's yours."

That man rarely gets tears in his eyes. He did today. Said it was the nicest thing anyone has done for him in a long, long time. Felt great to see him smile like that. :)

REHRIFLE
08-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Great!
----==

cuppednlocked
08-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Nice! I'm sure he will enjoy it for a long time.

Prince Humperdink
08-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Kit,what a great gift!