PDA

View Full Version : Real or fake???????????????????

jjones
05-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Ok, I have the chance to buy a real M1D from the CMP, for $1500. I am trying to decide if I should buy the real deal, or convert one of the rifles I have into a fake M1D in 7.62 for about $400.

Any thoughts on what ya'll would do?????????

MH53GUNNER
05-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Having a documented M1D will only increase in value once the CMP sells out. After that wait for the huge price jump just like the M1 Carbine. You can always convert your other rifle latter.

Schriv
05-10-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm firmly in the 'BOTH!!!!' category.

timshufflin
05-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Cal is right on the "documented M1D" part but that's just because so many people buy the hype. In many cases, you're getting a "made in Anniston" D. This makes it no better then one you make yourself.

Orlando
05-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Cal is right on the "documented M1D" part but that's just because so many people buy the hype. In many cases, you're getting a "made in Anniston" D. This makes it no better then one you make yourself.

Isnt that the truth

mixmaster
05-10-2011, 11:27 PM
I have yet to see the real proof of an M1D from DCM/CMP! The document I am talking about is the log that came with the Garand and was a complete history of the rifle,including the number of rounds fired. This log gave the complete history of the rifle including manufacture, designation,modifications. NM,M1C M1D Etc. also point of origin. I knew this log well as I had to fill it out after every repair/modification and number of rounds fired. Without this log you may be buying one assembled from salvaged parts. Very early in the sale of Military rifles by DCM this log was included. All Mil firearms had this log.Save your money. Build your own and you will know it's history(or make one up)
Mix

mixmaster
05-10-2011, 11:35 PM
I have the parts to build one and I am thinking of going 308 too.The 308s can reach out further than I can see and do not have the recoil of the 06. The recoil of the 06 does not bother me it is just easier to recover more quickly with the lighter recoil of the 308 in the Garand. Makes a real neat rifle.
Mix

burdick1776
05-11-2011, 04:59 AM
I would get the "real" M1D from CMP if I could pick it out in person.

timshufflin
05-11-2011, 05:44 AM
Mixmaster, I love being around you sir. I never knew about this log until you just mentioned it. Would anyone have a photo of this log for us to see?

jjones
05-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the opinions, I think I will be going with building my own, and saving $1000.

llurpirate
05-11-2011, 10:30 AM
I am with building your own. If a real one is questionsionable with the autentic papers anyway. I would be practically impossible to prove with out some kind of "officical" papers. And we know just how hard that would be to get a hold of anyway. Enjoy what you have.

Cal30M1
05-11-2011, 04:53 PM

Cal didn't say it but I was thinkin it!

Dave
05-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Are'nt the CMP D's a "stripped" rifle? Not being the slightest bit interested in one I've never checked. I thought it was just a rifle, no scope or mount or flash hider, do they even have the cheek pads on them? Basically you would have to build it yourself anyway if all you get is the base rifle. I do own a D but it has no CMP paper, its one of those early Samco imports that came from Israel. Its built on a gas trap receiver, has a mix of parts,some early, and sits in a GAW stock. It has the original cheekpad,scope,mount,flashider etc. I would'nt trade it for a CMP papered one if you paid me.

timshufflin
05-11-2011, 09:28 PM
are'nt the cmp d's a "stripped" rifle? Not being the slightest bit interested in one i've never checked. I thought it was just a rifle, no scope or mount or flash hider, do they even have the cheek pads on them? Basically you would have to build it yourself anyway if all you get is the base rifle. I do own a d but it has no cmp paper, its one of those early samco imports that came from israel. Its built on a gas trap receiver, has a mix of parts,some early, and sits in a gaw stock. It has the original cheekpad,scope,mount,flashider etc. I would'nt trade it for a cmp papered one if you paid me.

exactly.......