PDA

View Full Version : Mini G vs. SA SOCOM

Dump1567
07-18-2012, 04:17 PM
I have a Garand currently on its way for a Mini G conversion.

For my second project, I was thinking a mag fed G or SA SOCOM. I'm leaning towards the G, as I've heard the SOCOM has accuracy and quality issues. It doesn't seem like the G has these issues.
Why is that? Better parts and individually built?

And do you get any unused parts back from the rifle you send for the G/mag conversion? ( barrel, etc.)
Thanks.

timshufflin
07-18-2012, 05:22 PM

For my second project, I was thinking a mag fed G or SA SOCOM. I'm leaning towards the G, as I've heard the SOCOM has accuracy and quality issues. It doesn't seem like the G has these issues.

And do you get any unused parts back from the rifle you send for the G/mag conversion? ( barrel, etc.)
Thanks.

I don't know that a G is more accurate at all. I really don't know.
Are parts better? Don't know that either.
You don't get any parts back except the front handguard.

toolman
07-18-2012, 07:11 PM
One thing you do get though Dump1567.. Is someone (TIM) who will help you with any questions from here to eternity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND WILL STAND BEHIND HIS WORK!!!! And in todays age that means alot!!! Trust me i have bought and had several (8) garands worked on by him!! Peace Toolman

buckshot85
07-18-2012, 07:33 PM
As far as accuracy goes, I can tell you my Mini-G is very accurate. I have never fired a SOCOM so I have no opinion there. Now, my "G" was built using a new Criterion barrel. If that helps or not, don't know. I am not very good at off-hand shooting so I usually take knee. That being said, my "G" will put alot of rounds in a small spot consistently at 100 yds.. Tim did do a very nice trigger job on it also. Have fun with your "G". They are fun to shoot. I still get offers to sell mine. Aint happening.

LAW483
07-22-2012, 07:25 PM

Thanks.

SOCOM = COTS (Comercial Off The Shelf)

Mag-Fed Mini-G = Custom Made

Both are great in their intended range and role, but the Mini-G owners seem to have have much more pride in ownership.

Take Care,

Tony

NE450No2
07-26-2012, 04:07 AM
I have fired three different M1-A SOCOM's, with quality ammo, 168 Federal Match, and 168gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertips, as well as normal 147gr ball ammo.

None of them shot LESS than 5" at 100 yards. However all of the M1-A Bush/Scout rifles I have shot have been under 2.5 inches, many under 2" at 100 yards.

Dump1567
07-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I've always felt the Scout was a better choice over the SOCOM. After much debate, I decided to pick-up a Scout.

I'll play with the G when it gets here and determine later if a mag fed version is in my future.

kimber 22
08-27-2012, 10:20 PM
The Scout is a great choice!

masakari
08-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Im doing something very similar except i started with the SOCOM first, and plan on the Mini-G for the future. I love my SOCOM though, and i highly recommend it.