PDA

View Full Version : The poster formerly known as Mr Hanky

LCPL Hanky
05-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Hey yall,
Its been a whirlwind the last 6 months but im finally at a place thats somewhat normal. Ive been off packing up and down the mountains of Camp Pendleton, Ca. I've been throwing hand grenades, shooting grenade launches, machine guns, and all kinds of other cool stuff that Marines do.

Tim I love the new (to me) forum! It looks great

Ill put my first story up as well, at MCT we had to review our land nav skills so they sent us out alone to find certain points out in the hills. We had six points to find and close to 5 hrs to do it, super easy! I had 4 points done in an hr, as im going down hill to point 5 im watching my step and i see a brass casing thats bigger than our 5.56 so im thinking "no stinking way! I know what that is". It was an FA 43 '06 casing just laying there! I had time so i found another one layong a few feet away on the trail. To be continued have formation to take care of

canes7
05-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Congrats!

You should be able to find a whole lot of stuff around Camp Pendleton. It would be neat to find out what's buried in the ground around the old training bases. I know here at Camp Butner they find some unexploded artillery shells every now and then. It seems Camp Butner was much larger back in the day and now some of the land that was used for live fire training is/was being developed into housing.

LCPL Hanky
05-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Continued... I just about lost my mind lol finding those two shells because was my first "battlefield find". I was bragging to my buddies in the plt about what these cases were and how the headstamp tells who and when it was made. Fast forward two weeks and we're on our BSRE, its comparable to the crucible, for MCT graduation. We spent a day running partols out of our FOB and it was our turn to run ambushes in the woods. We dug our holes on the side of a mountain, and it was on our way back from an ambush once again i was looking at the ground and i see a strangly familiar rectangular shape. And once again my mind goes no stinking way, there before my eyes is the side of an enbloc. I got my etool and dug around the sides but there was nothing left but the one side. On our final police call so many Marines turned in 06 brass, i would have liked to have saved them but i couldn't.

wgandy
05-12-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm enjoying your stories. Thanks for sharing and please continue them as you have the time.

Danmanrn
05-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Second that, keep the stories in route, and THANK YOU for your service!

timshufflin
05-13-2011, 08:08 PM
What? No more stories?

LCPL Hanky
05-14-2011, 12:29 AM
Ill post more, they are In the process of bein made as we speak

mixmaster
05-14-2011, 02:08 AM
Hanky
I grew up around Camp Pendelton! My old man was in charge of the ranges at Camp Mathews. I think they are closed now. But I sure had fun out there.The gunny let me fire anything I wanted to BUT I had to pass the familiarity course the same as the recruits. No slack because I was the gunnys son. And I am sure you know what I mean. I did not meet Lee Ermey but I sure didn't miss much. Watching Full Metal Jacket woke up some memories. I have heard some of the best and Gunny Lee rates right up there with the best. Funny thing though. My old man could chew butt for hours and never use profanity. Amazing when you think about it. Enjoy your time there but the training never ends so Good Luck and God Bless.
Mix

LEAD POISON
05-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Goodluck in your new life.

LCPL Hanky
05-15-2011, 12:12 AM
We did our recruit shooting at Edson range, qualed expert shooting 330 out of 350. At MCT the machine gun shooting was the best. My favorite was the 249 saw, its fast and accurate. We also did the 240B it was cool because it was a .30 cal that reminded me of the 1919. We stripped them down, put them back together.... Ahh i was in heaven.

musketjon
05-24-2011, 12:41 AM
Hey LCPL,
I live about 45 minutes north of Pendleton. We should get together sometime. I'm in a live-fire Civil War club and about 30 years ago we used to shoot at Pendleton. I too, have found '06 casings and M1 clips there. Found a 30 cal ammo can on the beach there too. If only they could talk................................
Jon

toolman
05-24-2011, 03:24 PM
aWESOME STORIES... Remember me LCPL Hanky? I bought the whinny garand in a denny's parking lot from you. LOL ,, Peace toolman

LCPL Hanky
05-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Jon, ive since left Pendleton and im now in Florida for water survival school. If i getthe platform I want (Hueys or 53s) ill be back out there in 3 or 4 months. If i can get back there, I'd love to meet up its great to meet you guys.

Toolie, how could I forget? Hope you still like the rifle!

Hope everything is well with ya'll, I'm on 24hr post today and then I'm off to Disney for the weekend.

toolman
05-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Love the rifle bro! Stay safe! Thanks for defending are country. HATS Off to the men and women like you!!! peace toolman