PDA

View Full Version : Safety issue with op rod breaking?

mike68
10-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Hi guys, its been awhile since I posted but I have a serious question.

My Mini G is my go to rifle and will be seeing alot more ammo going through it (CMP Greek ammo). I have read in several well M1 books that the op rod can wear and actually come off the rails and potentially injure you. Seeing that I'm a lefty, this is a major concern for me. I love my Mini G but it doesn't build confidence knowing that this could happen. This is in no way a "slam" on Tim, he did an excellent job on mine.

I guess I want to know the following:

1) How can I tell if my op rod or receiver is getting worn out?

2) If both of the above are okay, what is a guesstimate of how many rounds I can fire before I have to start worrying about it?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it!

Orlando
10-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Just curious but where did you get your info on the Op Rod breaking and injuring the shooter?? First time I have heard this one.
If the tabe wears enough it can come out of the track but they usually just jamb at that point
Sure anything "can" happen but you are worrying about nothing
JMO

timshufflin
10-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Mike, as Orlando said, it's worrying about nothing. Your oprod and receiver will be worn out when they don't work anymore. I've not heard of an oprod "breaking" yet.

mike68
10-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Sorry guys, I didn't mean breaking, I meant jumping off its track. I did put that in my post.

Orlando---Page 133, halfway down the page of Jerry Kuhnhausen book, "The US .30 Caliber Service Rifles, A Shop Manual Volume I & II". It talks about M1 self dismounts.
Page 109, first paragraph in the Scott Duff book, "The M1 Garand: Owners Guide". It is talking about using the wrong powders in reloaded ammunition and can cause the op rod to bend or break. It also goes on to say that this has happened and caused serious injury and death.

Don't mean to be a prick guys but you can understand my concern about possibly showing up on the evening news with an op rod sticking in my head :^)

Thanks for the replies!

timshufflin
10-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Well, if you were to misload some ammunition, I could see some sort of incident. Factory ammo, just isn't going to happen unless we're talking about korean, maybe.

mike68
10-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks Tim, I appreciate the response!! Sorry for the dumbass question guys :^(

Orlando
10-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Hey no problem. Question wasnt dumb, you dont know unless you ask

mike68
10-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks Orlando, I appreciate it!

seaninmich
10-02-2012, 01:13 AM
even if it jumps the track, the op rod can only travel back until it hits the oprod catch, receiver, or part of the stock. I don't think it COULD hit you in the face. I shoot lefty, BTW

timshufflin
10-02-2012, 11:09 AM
even if it jumps the track, the op rod can only travel back until it hits the oprod catch, receiver, or part of the stock. I don't think it COULD hit you in the face. I shoot lefty, BTW

The web of the oprod would stop the rod and then the handle would have to shear off from the rod and let loose with terrible force. This all could happen but, then again, aliens could come to your home, savage your wife, make you watch, and give you n un obtanium enema when they're done.

Prince Humperdink
10-02-2012, 12:33 PM
aliens could come to your home, savage your wife, make you watch, and give you n un obtanium enema when they're done.

This ISN'T normal occurance?Huh?!?! The rods that I have seen jump track only just pop out and stop.As others have said,it hits a lot of metal and can't go very far.As far as shearing,those things are tough,I once experimented with a demilled rod and I couldn't break it...even with a large hammer.I also came to the conclusion that if the rod ever broke at the weld or tube then all of the pressure would be on the contained spring and tube with the handle and saddle just flopping back without much pressure.As far as bent rods,in my experience all that does is make semi auto fire impossible(I straigtened My first rod to get the pesky bend out,tried many bends and found this out.
Ryan

mike68
10-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Sean and Tim----Thanks for the info, thats the info I needed. I still am learning the M1 and its operation. I need to tear that puppy down and play with it more :^)

Tim--LMAO!!!!!!!!!

mike68
10-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the info Ryan, I appreciate it!