PDA

View Full Version : I've made up my mind

redheep
11-17-2012, 03:30 PM
I've been kicking it back and forth since i bought it and I finally decided to turn my 6 digit into a Mini-G.

Tim, when I get a new stock to send with it and I get my milled stock ferrule swapped out with Dupage, I'm sending it to you. Work your magic.

I figure this is a good way to spend my Ohio veteran's bonus.

$clapper$

axemurderer
11-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Good for you Redheep! I sent Tim a 6 digit and have been in love with it ever since.

Mike

redheep
11-17-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm excited. It's got a SA 52 barrel on it that I think I'll just have Tim shorten. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of mixed up parts.

I want it to look like a WW2 mini, so I put the milled trigger guard, stock ferrule and lockbar sight on it. Just enough to make you wonder.

It needs a new stock, so I think I'll have Tim cartouche one for the time period and then I'll finish it up.

redheep
01-28-2013, 11:56 AM
I have a question about the order form.

I want the Mini-G conversion -$525
Park the rifle - $50
Smith MB - $150
And a trigger job - $45

Are the precut barrels new manufacture or old take offs? For example, if I was looking for a old barrel like a 40's date to go with the 6 digit serial number, would you have one?
Otherwise, I'll just take what you put on there. Originality is out the door at this point.

Is that all I need to check on the order form?

redheep
12-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Tim,

It took a lot longer than I thought it would, but I put my rifle in the mail today headed your way. Looking forward to it.

timshufflin
12-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Barrels are take offs. I don't have Smith brakes, I use E brakes. I'll never use another Smith product again. I doubt I'd have a 40's barrel to use. I take your barrel, put it in a pile with the rest, then do barrels in batches for other Mini-G's. That why your barrel has to be in decent condition. Must be a 5 or less at the throat with very very little frosting or pitting, the kind I'd need a magnifying glass to find.

redheep
12-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Barrels are take offs. I don't have Smith brakes, I use E brakes. I'll never use another Smith product again. I doubt I'd have a 40's barrel to use. I take your barrel, put it in a pile with the rest, then do barrels in batches for other Mini-G's. That why your barrel has to be in decent condition. Must be a 5 or less at the throat with very very little frosting or pitting, the kind I'd need a magnifying glass to find.

The posts above are from 2 years ago. My order form is correct for what I'd like to have done now.

You should take the Smith brakes off your website if you don't intend on using them. I included the $150 for a muzzle brake, if that's not the right amount please let me know. I also included the $25 to use my barrel, if that's not feasible because of the condition I understand.

timshufflin
12-05-2014, 09:05 AM
I will take the smith off, thought I did, I probably had it in more than 1 spot. The cost is the same for the three inch bm brake if you want it. When using your own barrel, condition doesn't matter.

redheep
12-05-2014, 02:06 PM
I will take the smith off, thought I did, I probably had it in more than 1 spot. The cost is the same for the three inch bm brake if you want it. When using your own barrel, condition doesn't matter.

I definately want the brake on it. Thanks. I put a letter in with the money order just in case something was lost in translation.

My apologies if there was confusion by bumping this thread up. I didn't realize the unanswered posts would look like current questions.

LEAD POISON
12-05-2014, 03:23 PM
Tim,

It took a lot longer than I thought it would, but I put my rifle in the mail today headed your way. Looking forward to it.

YOU WILL LOVE IT.Fantastic deer gun.

redheep
12-05-2014, 03:44 PM
YOU WILL LOVE IT.Fantastic deer gun.

Not in Ohio :(

LEAD POISON
12-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Y ?????????????

Orlando
12-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Y ?????????????

Slugs in shotgun or muzzleloader only in Ohio

centurion20000
12-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Barrels are take offs. I don't have Smith brakes, I use E brakes. I'll never use another Smith product again. ...

Is there a problem with the quality of them [Smith brakes I mean]?

timshufflin
12-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Is there a problem with the quality of them [Smith brakes I mean]?

No, great brakes. I have a problem with how they have treated some customers in the past.

seaninmich
12-05-2014, 08:09 PM
No, great brakes. I have a problem with how they have treated some customers in the past.

yeah, but I love the way they treated hamhead

redheep
12-05-2014, 08:54 PM
Slugs in shotgun or muzzleloader only in Ohio

Ohio DNR changed their policy this year to include rifles for deer hunting for the first time in a long time. Unfortunately, it only includes straight walled pistol cartridges. But it's a step in the right direction.

Orlando
12-05-2014, 11:06 PM
I knew they were working on this but didnt know it passed
Personally I dont think high powered rifle should be allowed in Ohio for Deer. State is just to populated and to many idiots . Heck for the close range shooting you do in Ohio anyway the rifled slug guns are pretty darn accurate not to mention the rifled muzzle loaders.

timshufflin
12-06-2014, 09:20 AM
If you are shooting from an elevated stand, the earth is your back stop. For years Michigan did not allow us to hunt with a firearm in an elevated stand, they actually MADE us give up the most important and natural backstop we had, the earth. They put us at risk with each other and made this, somehow, about being fair to the deer and safe tree climbing instead of about not shooting each other. The MDNR now is making another stupid stand, they will not let us hunt with suppressors! Town after town passes noise ordinances, nobody likes our noise, our hearing goes bad, nobody gives two craps about the hearing of the shooter, it's always about the animal and some imaginary fair chase BS.

To have a law that is there to prevent the breaking of another law, where does that end? We have a basic law, please don't shoot/kill anyone. We then have laws saying that, in some states, you have to provide a trigger lock with every firearm so that it helps to maintain the basic law of "please don't shoot/kill anyone". We have background checks so the giant morons of this country can feel better about who owns a firearm when we already have a law that says "please don't shoot/kill anyone". We then have laws about how many rounds a firearm may hold because giant oxygen sucking left wing nut jobs don't understand that we already have a law that says "please don't shoot/kill anyone".

Okay, I get it, some may want a law that says no hunting with rifles because they feel it is safer, never mind we already have a law that says "please don't shoot/kill anyone". What then is to stop a city, they already do, from saying no hunting with a shotgun in our area, it's not safe enough. Then, no hunting with a bow, it's not safe enough. Then, no firearms allowed at all, it's not safe enough. My own Township just tried to pass such an ordinance where firearms were not allowed to be discharged, ever (regardless of backstop), on residential property. I understand the compassionate arguments for "common sense", "stupid people", "crazy people", "buck fever shots", but where does it end? Incrementalism is a very dangerous thing.

Can't we just have the basic law, a law that complies with the Constitution and the Golden Rule, please don't shoot/kill anyone. By the way, there are already laws on the books about negligent discharge of a firearm. You must have a safe backstop already and your neighbors house, a passing car, the local school, does not count as a backstop.

Orlando
12-06-2014, 09:42 AM
I knew my post would ruffle your feathers:)
I just dont see a advantage of a high powered rifle in Ohio. Most shots are very well within the accurate range of slugs and muzzleloaders. I think alot of private land owners would stop acsess to their land if you wanted to use a rifle. Ohio is a very populated State not wide open farmland/spaces .IMO the safety outweighs the advatage

timshufflin
12-06-2014, 09:46 AM
I knew my post would ruffle your feathers:)

Im not ruffled, I'm trying to challenge my beliefs and yours.

Orlando
12-06-2014, 12:46 PM
I understand where you are coming from but to me its safety of the public. Kinda like the reason they have 20 MPH speed limits laws in school zones etc.

redheep
12-06-2014, 11:22 PM
I'm not sure what part of Ohio you're from, but where I grew up was a little less than what I'd call "populated." The majority of the large municipalities (Toledo, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Cincinatti) give way rather quickly to farmland once you're outside of the suburbs.

I'm stationed now in NC, where they just passed a huge reform to their firearms laws, including hunting with supressors. The deer season down here is open for 4 months, all of it rifle, because of the deer population. It's every bit of populated with people here in eastern NC that it is in Ohio and they've been using rifle cartridges since the beginning of the firearm. It's not about whether or not you need to use it, it's having the constitutional right to put it in your shoulder and pull the trigger if you want to.

cuppednlocked
12-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Red,

Don't forget to add early bow and muzzleloader seasons to that 4 month time frame.

MD does not allow rifles in most of the state. If you really look at the "safety" factor between a centerfire rifle and a good slug gun or modern muzzleloader there is not much difference. When you can make a 200 yard shot with either I'd say you're on equal ground.

Of course I base my perspective on not hunting out west.

jbkf1003
12-07-2014, 10:40 AM
They allow rifles for deer in some counties in NYS, if they allow it in this bastion of communism I don't see why it shouldn't be legal in all states. If your wreckless and shoot someone well then you'll goto jail. Simple as that.

timshufflin
12-07-2014, 01:06 PM
I understand where you are coming from but to me its safety of the public. Kinda like the reason they have 20 MPH speed limits laws in school zones etc.

If safety of the public can be used for firearms arguments, we're doomed. Safety of the public, we need magazine limits, registration, background checks, FFL's, evil configurations done away with... Automotive speed limits are not covered in the Bill of Rights and thus left to the States and to the People. What states and municipalities do is say that hunting is not a right but a privilege thus you can only kill said animal with the firearm the government chooses. Slippery slope this one.

What does history tell us? Look at populated areas that "allow" people to kill game with high power rifles, is the sky falling? Are people dying at a rate that's different from other areas when it comes to hunting accidents and errant shots? If the answer is no, how is the argument that this is a safety issue valid? If the answer is yes, the argument can be made that other means of killing animals is safer but we still have an argument about if it's just/right.

Safety has been made the number one goal by government agencies everywhere to justify every sort of law and expenditure. I say hell no! I could give two craps about safety and care much more about individual freedom. If having everything safe is the goal, I guess we can't heat our homes with natural gas, propane, wood. Look at the numbers for these accidents! We can't, don't dare, drive a car, go skiing, ice fish, ride a bike. Everything can always be made safer but at the cost of freedom? I'll do without safety thank you.

Orlando
12-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Then hunt crazy wabbits with bazookas in the city? We can atleast agree to disagree

timshufflin
12-07-2014, 04:43 PM
Then hunt crazy wabbits with bazookas in the city? We can atleast agree to disagree

As long as I have a good backstop, none of my debris hits the neighbors yards, I'm good with hunting rabbits with bazookas.

centurion20000
12-08-2014, 01:57 AM
If safety of the public can be used for firearms arguments, we're doomed. Safety of the public, we need magazine limits, registration, background checks, FFL's, evil configurations done away with... Automotive speed limits are not covered in the Bill of Rights and thus left to the States and to the People. What states and municipalities do is say that hunting is not a right but a privilege thus you can only kill said animal with the firearm the government chooses. Slippery slope this one.

You can be safe or free. Pick one. Far too many choose to be safe.

redheep
12-08-2014, 09:23 AM
I agree that there are things that need to be legislated. I don't want someone driving drunk into my family or handing out meth in candy bags to my kids at school.

But I'm also a little bit of a fatalist. If it's my turn to take the golden bb, then my time is up. I am smart enough (although not that smart) to keep most dangerous things at bay. The idea that the government will protect you through legislating your freedoms is very Soviet Union. That's not what the castoffs of the British Empire intended.

timshufflin
12-09-2014, 08:20 AM
I agree that there are things that need to be legislated. I don't want someone driving drunk into my family or handing out meth in candy bags to my kids at school.

But I'm also a little bit of a fatalist. If it's my turn to take the golden bb, then my time is up. I am smart enough (although not that smart) to keep most dangerous things at bay. The idea that the government will protect you through legislating your freedoms is very Soviet Union. That's not what the castoffs of the British Empire intended.

Absolutely agree that there are things that need to be, could be legislated. I would legislate any area where somebody's rights are actually infringing on another. Notice I said actually and not could be. Someone could infringe on their neighbor by shooting them, running them over, beating them, hitting them with a golf ball, but that doesn't mean we outlaw any of those activities, it means that we make it illegal to kill or maim your damn neighbor.

redheep
12-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Absolutely agree that there are things that need to be, could be legislated. I would legislate any area where somebody's rights are actually infringing on another. Notice I said actually and not could be. Someone could infringe on their neighbor by shooting them, running them over, beating them, hitting them with a golf ball, but that doesn't mean we outlaw any of those activities, it means that we make it illegal to kill or maim your damn neighbor.

I only have one neighbor I'd like to maim. :)

jbkf1003
12-09-2014, 09:10 AM

I think we have had that pretty covered for a long time. So I agree there should be no new laws passed, unless it's a budget, undoing already existing overreaching law, or to fund a bridge project or something like that. General taking care of business type stuff. (Or declare war, in the case of congress).

Then we could transform these legislative positions back into the part time, service positions, that you took out of a feeling of a duty to serve. (like they were intended to be). And not what they have turned into. Full time, cushy jobs, that these guys will sell out their mothers to keep.

justa22
12-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Our leaders in Washington have already been maimed, somebody sucked all their brains out of their heads.

centurion20000
12-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Our leaders in Washington have already been maimed, somebody sucked all their brains out of their heads.

And clipped their balls at the same time.

redheep
12-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Talked to Tim today. In the mail tomorrow. I'll post pictures when I get to Ohio on Saturday.