PDA

View Full Version : Question about BM59 gas system VS Garand gas system?

awpk03s
01-08-2013, 08:29 PM
What is it about the BM59 gas system mod that make it desirable in a Mini-G build?

Is it more reliable? More accurate? Mainly just cool looking and unique?

Are you stuck with using the BM Comps? I think there's a shorty one in Standard Parts, and have also seen the 3" and 5"... Can you run it with no comp/brake?

Thanks!!

timshufflin
01-08-2013, 09:43 PM
What is it about the BM59 gas system mod that make it desirable in a Mini-G build?

Is it more reliable? More accurate? Mainly just cool looking and unique?

Are you stuck with using the BM Comps? I think there's a shorty one in Standard Parts, and have also seen the 3" and 5"... Can you run it with no comp/brake?

Thanks!!

1. No difference in how the rifle works with either system
2. The BM59 cylinder requires the use of only drop down brake types unless you thread the barrel with an extended muzzle past the gas lock
3. Something to keep in mind, you can get a BM59 style gas cylinder and the 2.5" BM59 working brake from Standard Parts for the same price as a Smith brake alone
4. If you want to use an Ultimak rail, you can use it with the BM59 style cylinder with no modifications
5. If you use the standard garand gas cylinder setup, you have to modify the oprod and Ultimak on a Mini-G or Tanker to make them work together. I charge $90 for that mod

seaninmich
01-08-2013, 09:54 PM
I like the look of the drop down MUCH more.

Punch The Clown
01-09-2013, 01:19 AM
When Tim first came out with the Mini-G there were no Standard Parts BM59 type gas cylinders. Now you have a choice. Both look rather cool however.

Zwara
01-28-2013, 04:57 PM
can you add the bm59 drop cyl and still have a non threaded barrel? or does it work in conjunction with a brake specifically?

timshufflin
01-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Currently I know of no way to use the drop down without a brake. You would need a non descript muzzle device like Punch the Clown has. That device has no holes. I don't know of any drop down gas locks.