PDA

View Full Version : CMP Newsletter regarding M1 Garand sales to New York buyers

KnickKnack
01-29-2013, 04:07 PM
The CMP newsletter today says that all M1 Garands being sold to New York State buyers must now go to a FFL dealer. So are they considering them "assault weapons"? If so, the law says that we can't purchase them any more in New York and dealers can't sell them to us, so how does this work? If they are not considering them "assault weapons", then why do they have to go a FFL dealer? There isn't anything in the law about that. Also, they can only send us ammo until the end of the year. After that, who knows? I need to find out if they will still sell New York buyers rifles at the stores, if we take them with us.

Zwara
01-29-2013, 04:16 PM
removing the lug and destroying the brain... owait... just the lug. then its not an assault weapon and need not be regesterd, if you keep the lug, you must register it. and gun coming into the state must go through a ffl now, ammo too. EDIT Tim is making a NyG (ny OK mini-G) no need to register them, BUT still need FFL...

canes7
01-29-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm sure O is just playing it safe. When the Feds come at him he can say "Already Done, you can move on now.". Looks good for them.

seaninmich
01-29-2013, 05:56 PM
if you keep the lug, you must register it.

so there won't be any collector level garands in NY. Can't imagine anybody would saw the bayo lug off a numbered gas cylinder

Zwara
01-29-2013, 06:14 PM
i do believe they are not completely out, the lug would make the 1 evil feature for the assault weapons, so you would have to register it, without the lug you just need FFL to recieve it. also, clips are limited to 7 rounds, garand standard is 8, you would need to get the 5rd clips instead. so, in summation, no lug and 5rd clips and your not only NY legal, but registration exempt (as it does not fall under any assault weapons guidelines) also page 23 of Feinsteins crapapalooza papers outline garands as exempt as long as the stock is standard, so, no probs there either.

EDIT: i will be a new owner in NY so im trying to stay ontop of all this junk goin on here. i am however not sure on any grandfathering laws. also, for more detailed info, harass the s*** out of your local politicians, have a good one :D

jak
01-29-2013, 06:47 PM
i will be a new owner in NY so im trying to stay ontop of all this junk goin on here. i am however not sure on any grandfathering laws. also, for more detailed info, harass the s*** out of your local politicians, have a good one :D

You can buy a bunch of used gas cylinders, cut off the bayonet lug and install them on your rifles and put the good gas cylinders in storage in case NY becomes a free state again.

Or you can always move to PA.

Article 1 Section 21 of the Pennsylvania Constitution states:
"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

That will be in effect until obammy becomes dictator.

timshufflin
01-29-2013, 06:55 PM
You can buy a bunch of used gas cylinders, cut off the bayonet lug and install them on your rifles and put the good gas cylinders in storage in case NY becomes a free state again.

Or you can always move to PA.

Article 1 Section 21 of the Pennsylvania Constitution states:
"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned."

That will be in effect until obammy becomes dictator.

But jak, some "reasonable" questions can surely be made? Doesn't philly already question your state Constitution? Tisk Tisk.

jak
01-29-2013, 07:14 PM
But jak, some "reasonable" questions can surely be made? Doesn't philly already question your state Constitution? Tisk Tisk.

I don't consider philadelphia part of PA. I don't go there unless it is absolutely necessary. I would gladly trade philly to jersey or delaware for a roll of toilet paper. In philly you can't open carry unless you have LTC.

The Pennsylvania UFA protects gun owners rights and prevents local governments from creating their own laws. It does, however, give special exemptions to "Cities of First Class", defined as a city of more than 1 million people, otherwise known as "filthadelphia." Additionally, because philadelphia is a City-County, and the license to carry is issued by the county, you have to apply with philadelphia police rather than the county sheriff as in other counties.

Punch The Clown
01-29-2013, 07:54 PM
They decided the en-bloc is not a magazine, so it is not classified as an "assault weapon", otherwise they could not be brought into the state at all. Part of the "SAFE" law however requires that all transactions go through an FFL, so basically it's like a jersey deal. Back to back NICS checks. Makes a lot of sense.

rlelvis
01-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Don't shoot the messenger but I called to the safe 'not so hot' line today.
I was told that a Garand is NOT an assault weapon because it does not have a detachable magazine. This had obviously already been asked since he stated specifically in his initial response that the enbloc clip was not a detachable magazine. So if you do not pass test 1 (detachable magazine) you do not need to be concerned with the other features. Examples are thumbhole stocks on single shot or bolt guns, could also use the Browning BOSS system. So no need to register. Same with the Carbine, put on a band w/out lug and it is ok.
Now that said I would not want to be the guy in court defending that argument as the law is written now. Show me in writing. Even if it’s an assault weapon it can still be received in NY as it is over 50 years old and must be registered on receipt. Regardless it HAS to go through an FFL.

I am sure there are more opinions on this. Thinking of calling again with the same questions and written answers in front of me to see what I get.

rlelvis
01-29-2013, 08:25 PM
They decided the en-bloc is not a magazine, so it is not classified as an "assault weapon", otherwise they could not be brought into the state at all. Part of the "SAFE" law however requires that all transactions go through an FFL, so basically it's like a jersey deal. Back to back NICS checks. Makes a lot of sense.

You can purchase and ship into state anything over 50 years old. exempt from transfer law but not registration I believe this answer was based on Subdivision 22 of section 265.000, chapter 189 of the laws of 2000, amended by the legislation/signed law. 22 (A) & (G) (VI) & (H) [any weapon defined in para (E) or (F) ... only transered outof state or to a dealer], basically exempts anything that is 50 years old from being classified as an assault weapon even with a detachable magazine but registration still required.

Another example of confusion and just my take on it and the phone conversation.

BTW I believe local visiting hours are Monday 1200-1500 and I prefer Winston but anything will do.

seaninmich
01-29-2013, 08:31 PM
Even if the enbloc is not currently put in class with a magazine, if you think it will be that way for long, you are insane.

Both the enbloc and a detachable magazine do, essentially, the same exact thing. And I don't want to hear anyone start in about the technical aspects of each. I am well aware of what constitutes the difference between the two. They didn't ban hi cap magazines because they have the follower and feed the actual rounds. They banned them for doing the exact same thing the enbloc does - allow the user to carry a bunch of rounds, throw a mag (or enbloc) into the rifle, squeeze off a bunch of rounds (in this case over 7), and repeat.

If they don't ban enblocs, then these things are even dumber than I give them credit for being

csacpt
01-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Even if the enbloc is not currently put in class with a magazine, if you think it will be that way for long, you are insane.

Both the enbloc and a detachable magazine do, essentially, the same exact thing. And I don't want to hear anyone start in about the technical aspects of each. I am well aware of what constitutes the difference between the two. They didn't ban hi cap magazines because they have the follower and feed the actual rounds. They banned them for doing the exact same thing the enbloc does - allow the user to carry a bunch of rounds, throw a mag (or enbloc) into the rifle, squeeze off a bunch of rounds (in this case over 7), and repeat.

If they don't ban enblocs, then these things are even dumber than I give them credit for being

The whole thing was written so that they can twist everything to suit their purpose. A prime example of ambiguous!

KnickKnack
01-30-2013, 02:55 AM
Apparently this all about background checks and registering guns now, and nothing to do with the age of the gun or its feathures. Everyone buying a gun in New York State, whether it is from a dealer or a private sale, has to go through a background check. The only exception is transfer to immediate family members, which I' still not clear on with "assault weapons", since no assault weapons can be sold in New York State going forward, so I'm not even sure how you can transfer it to a family member. If you are a CCL holder, you must now update your information every 5 years with the New York State Police, even though Counties issue the CCL's and not the State Police. Again, creating more of a Statewide gun registration base.

I received a letter from my State Senator today, outlining the basic provisions of the new law. Some of it doesn't quite match with the State website. She also states that it does not appear that there will be any amendments to law that will benefit gun owners and no chance of repealing the law or parts of it. It appears that the only chance of removing this law is in Court, if there is any chance at all.