PDA

View Full Version : .308 Mini-G Range Report

torque_and_recoil
03-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Guess what arrived in the mail on Monday 3/18! Two .308 Mini-Gs!

One was built as a gift for my dad, who is left handed. I gave it to him on Friday, and we had two sunny days on the range before the snowstorm hit.

The one with the Dupage "nutmeg" laminated stock is definitely the "looker" of the two (set up with the left-handed stock pouch). I still have some work to do to pretty up the walnut stock on mine.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j368/torque_and_recoil/Two_Mini-Gs.jpg

With the flash hider, Ultimak mount, and Leupold 2.5x scout scope, they each weigh in at 10.5 lbs.

The flash hider is a cast T-37 reproduction cut down and reparkerized. It didn't take the finish very well, so we'll see how it holds up over time. The flash hiders look neat (or "scary" if you live in new york), and they don't blast out the eardrums of other folks on the line the way some muzzle brakes do. (I can't speak for the Smith brake, since I've never been around one.) As with most .308 semi-autos, recoil isn't an issue. 300 rounds of shooting off sand bags and with a loop sling, and my shoulder is none the worse for wear.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j368/torque_and_recoil/Mini-G_Shortened_T-37.jpg

Off sand bags from prone, the rifle with the laminated stock grouped six shots under 1.5" at 100 yards.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j368/torque_and_recoil/Mini-G_Laminated_Group.jpg

The rifle with the walnut stock put six shots under 1" at 100 yards.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j368/torque_and_recoil/Mini-G_Walnut_Group.jpg

In both cases, I was shooting reloads - 168 gr Sierra MatchKing with 44 gr Varget. In my experience, that's incredible for a rifle with a 16" barrel.

Using the marks inside the reticle (where the reticle starts to thicken), was able to make boringly consistent hits at 300 and 400 yards on 12" x 12" steel plates. These rifles are fantastic!

I had some 175 grain Prvi that wouldn't group worth a hoot in my M14 (non-NFA, but no Springfield Armory Inc. parts). The Prvi shot just fine in the Mini-G and would consistently ring the 12" x 12" plate at 400 yards. (So I guess that is less than 3 MOA accuracy.)

Early on, I had a few short cycles. Maybe one in sixteen wouldn't chamber the next round. After increasing the gas (reducing the gas cylinder plug hole size), those issues seem to be resolved.

I can definitely say that the Mini-Gs have exceeded all of my expectations, and my dad is enamored with his new rifle.

THANK YOU Tim for putting together such wonderful products. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you must work at the North Pole. You bring joy to so many!

ou719
03-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Hey congrats, those are some fine lookin rifles.

lowell66dart
03-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Very nice rifles and shooting. Are those barrels the one's Tim sells?

timshufflin
03-25-2013, 09:52 PM
By math, a shorter rifle should shoot better at the shorter ranges. You have far less barrel whip to deal with. I'm glad the shooting is good and hope the two of you have many good hours ahead.

torque_and_recoil
03-26-2013, 06:46 AM
Are those barrels the one's Tim sells?

Yes, I bought the .308 barrels direct from Tim. I believe they are Criterion.

Orlando
03-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Very Impressive Groups!

torque_and_recoil
03-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Very Impressive Groups!

Thank you, but Mr. Shufflin deserves all the credit!

My full size CMP Garand was having feed issues, and I was overheard saying to it... "If you don't start behaving, I'll send you to Michigan and have you cut down to size!"

timshufflin
03-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Thank you, but Mr. Shufflin deserves all the credit!

My full size CMP Garand was having feed issues, and I was overheard saying to it... "If you don't start behaving, I'll send you to Michigan and have you cut down to size!"

LMAO, really, I was laughing pretty hard.

HerkyBird
03-27-2013, 09:00 AM
Looking at yours makes me want to put the Ultimak and scout scope on mine. Very nice. They are both gorgeous rifles.

SmellyViking
03-27-2013, 05:44 PM
lookin gewd where can you get them slings 1st ive seen em?

torque_and_recoil
03-27-2013, 08:13 PM
lookin gewd where can you get them slings 1st ive seen em?

There's a gentleman out in Washington state who makes them. They're much faster to get into than a USGI loop sling, and they're almost as stable. Kind of like the Ching Sling, except you don't need the third sling stud. 100% made in the USA.

I've ended up putting them on most of my rifles.

http://artoftherifle.blogspot.com/p/store.html

Old Guard
05-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Very Impressive Groups!

Yes indeed, nice shooting..

Captain Teague
10-07-2013, 10:58 AM
The Ultimak didn't require any modification to fit on your rifles, did it? Don't they just "drop in"?

timshufflin
10-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Ultimak and amega both require mods on tankers and mini-g's UNLESS you use one of Standard parts drop down gas cylinders.

jbkf1003
01-06-2014, 05:57 PM
T&R,

What rings did you use?

Thanks
Justin

torque_and_recoil
01-06-2014, 06:08 PM
T&R,

What rings did you use?

Thanks
Justin

I used LOW Leupold quick detach rings in matte black. They seemed to match the finish of the rail and the scope well. I think Leupold calls them "QRW" for Quick Release Weaver. With the low height, I don't need a riser on the stock to get a good cheek weld.