PDA

View Full Version : Electro-Optics and Mount Recommendations

Shug
03-26-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm looking to put an optic on my clip-fed Mini-G and was looking for feedback. I already have a Leupold scout scope on an Ultimak mount on a full-size Garand, and like the setup. But the straps that hold the Ultimak on to the barrel will interfere with oprod travel on the Mini-G's shortened rod.

The two setups I'm considering are:
1. A Trijicon RM06 reflex sight on a HOPCO HS02 mount
2. Aimpoint T1 on an Ultimak or Amega mount

I really like the Ultimak mount because it lets me retain the irons and potentially co-witness, but I am not comfortable machining a clearance flat on the bottom of the oprod on my small, benchtop mill. I was considering replacing the Ultimak's straps with machined aluminum wedges that would run down each side of the underside of the mount and use the existing screws to compress them against the barrel. This way there is no oprod interference.

I appreciate any feedback on my choices of optics and commercial mounts, and especially on my idea for the mounting system modification idea for the Ultimak.

timshufflin
03-26-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm looking to put an optic on my clip-fed Mini-G and was looking for feedback. I already have a Leupold scout scope on an Ultimak mount on a full-size Garand, and like the setup. But the straps that hold the Ultimak on to the barrel will interfere with oprod travel on the Mini-G's shortened rod.

The two setups I'm considering are:
1. A Trijicon RM06 reflex sight on a HOPCO HS02 mount
2. Aimpoint T1 on an Ultimak or Amega mount

I really like the Ultimak mount because it lets me retain the irons and potentially co-witness, but I am not comfortable machining a clearance flat on the bottom of the oprod on my small, benchtop mill. I was considering replacing the Ultimak's straps with machined aluminum wedges that would run down each side of the underside of the mount and use the existing screws to compress them against the barrel. This way there is no oprod interference.

I appreciate any feedback on my choices of optics and commercial mounts, and especially on my idea for the mounting system modification idea for the Ultimak.

Your idea on the wedges may work. I've considered trying just machining the ultimak mounting brackets in half and making them the wedges, it sure would solve a lot of problems.

Shug
03-27-2013, 11:45 AM
For now, I'm thinking the Hopco mount with the RMR may be the best way to go. I just don't have the time these days to spend either in my tiny workshop or at the range. Nor are my machinist skills anything to be proud of.

I looked at my full-size Garand with the Ultimak and my Mini-G, and noticed that if the Ultimak's rear screws were just 1/4" further back, the strap would clear the oprod even at full travel. If the Ultimak could have a slot machined across its upper and side surfaces to accommodate a spring steel band, the existing rear handguard mounting slots in the barrel could be used to secure the rear of the mount. The inner half- ring at the front end of the Ultimak could be milled out a bit so it no longer touches the barrel and is floating. I just with I had the time, machining skills, and ability to neatly bend spring steel to try this out. Oh, and a spare Ultimak, of course.