PDA

View Full Version : Failed tilt test....

canes7
06-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Alright... I'm used to the whole op-rod hitting all over on the tube section. I'd just send 'em off and get 'em fixed. Now I have an op-rod that hugs the barrel pretty tight. The area opposite the drawing # stampings drags on the barrel enough to keep the rifle from passing the tilt test, even after greasing. This is the second rod I've had like this. The first I just let it go because it was my rifle. This rifle is for a member of the club I belong to. It came to me in a box completely disassembled so I don't know how it performed before.

Am I over-thinking this?

jak
06-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Is it a National Match op rod ? I had a NM op rod that did the same thing.

Orlando
06-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Hows it shoot? If everything works well I wouldnt worry to much about it

canes7
06-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Yes.. Both rods that I am talking about are NM op-rods. I thought maybe that was the difference but all this talk of them being the same as others made me think twice. Haven't shot it yet Orlando... I hoping to get it out for break-in this weekend but the owner still needs a working elevation drum/pinion, rear sight cover and front handguard.

Prince Humperdink
06-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Dan,as others have said,try shooting it first.NM op rods are made to tighter tolerences.

jak
06-01-2011, 02:31 PM
I may be wrong but I had the impression that NM op rods were bent to drag more (tighter fit) on the barrel. This way the op rod movement was more consistent resulting in better accuracy.

canes7
06-01-2011, 03:17 PM
I may be wrong but I had the impression that NM op rods were bent to drag more (tighter fit) on the barrel. This way the op rod movement was more consistent resulting in better accuracy.

Makes sense to me.. So maybe this tilt test BS is something that Tim should have in his M1 myths thread.

Thanks guys...

Punch The Clown
06-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Didn't the Air Force match rifles have the op-rod contact area of the barrel highly polished?

musketjon
06-08-2011, 12:06 AM
I've got 2 M1's that pass the tilt test and 2 that don't. The 2 that fail shoot just as accurately as the 2 that do. Just FYI, for what it's worth.
Jon