PDA

View Full Version : Possible Stupid Question.. Eotech w/ Ultimak

jbkf1003
06-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Hi Guys,

I have a mini-g w/ an Ultimak rail. I decided to try an Eotech EXPS-2 I had on it. I can't get it to mount. I have the lever open and adjustment nut all they way out, but I can't get it to rock on to the rail? What am I missing? I'm sure it's operator error, I had rings and a Leupold scout scope on before with no issues..

Thanks
Justin

jbkf1003
06-02-2014, 02:44 PM
FYI:

Hi Justin,

The EXPS throw-lever QD models are excellent for an AR-15, which has ample
space under the rail, and which needs a very tall optic, but they present
something of a problem on many of the other platforms. That EOTech
proprietary throw-lever design has the lock plate underneath which needs a
lot of space under the rail for clearance, and since our rail is made for
"maximum lowness" it simply isn't going to work. The EOTechs having the
ARMS throw-levers will work fine, as will all their other models without the
EOTech throw-lever.

In short; the EXPS EOTechs, which like all EOTechs are tall sights to begin
with, also need a taller rail to accommodate them, whereas the Garand
platform wants a low rail with a low-mounted optic for best cheekweld and
optimum sight-over-bore offset. Unfortunately, you'll have to use a
different sight.

Best regards,

UltiMAK, Inc.

Jgun
06-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Justin,
I was going to reply to your question, but when You got the reply directly from Ultimak I initially decided to keep my mouth shut. I have an XPS2 with a piggyback magnifiyer. I didn't bother to try mine on my Ultimak, just took your word for it that it wouldn't fit, but if the problem is, as they say, that the clearance under the rail is less due to it being lower, I think the XPS ought to fit over the widest point of the rail. I've recently machined a mount for an Aimpoint M4 to fit it to my Ultimak, and find that the rail dimensions themselves (on my Ultimak) are not to Picatinny spec. I don't know if this is worth the trouble to you, but YHM makes an Eotech riser (that I'm using) that raises the XPS only 1/4" and might work for you if you wanted to try your XPS on your G. The riser is inexpensive and you could file it for clearance if needed, vs taking a file to yout Eotech. Just a thought.

jbkf1003
06-10-2014, 08:09 AM
Thank you sir,

I thought so too. But it does't fit anywhere along the rail that I could try, The issue is the XPS wraps around the rail a bit on the sides, where as the ultimak is just like a picitinny rail cut into a flat piece of stock. It's not elevated like a AR-15 flat top. It works fine on my Magwedge rail on my SKS, and I assume would work fine on a CASM mount where there is access to the whole side elevation.

I just bought a 512 for it. :)

Justin

Jgun
06-10-2014, 09:52 AM
I've seen pictures of a Garand tanker with a 512 type mounted on it, but that was on the Amega scout rail. Please post a picture once you've got it mounted.

BTW this is the YHM riser that I was referring to, I thought that it would allow you to raise the XPS up clear the sides of the Ultimak, I've also got a similar riser from Larue that I could have let you borrow to try out, but it looks like you've found a better (although more expensive) option. I really find that a red dot is an asset if you want to be quick, and it really complements the compact size of a G. I think it would go great on your mag fed Good luck with it

https://yhm.net/eotech-riser.html

jbkf1003
06-10-2014, 10:06 PM
Jgun,

I did see that riser and thought about it but went the 'safe' route. There usually isn't a problem that can't be fixed with enough cash.. :) I'll post a pic when all done.

Justin

Jgun
06-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Justin,
I've made a mount to use an Aimpoint comp M4 on top of my Ultimak on my G. My goal was to get the M4 as low and far back as possible. When you've got the Eotech mounted, perhaps you could give me an approximate measurement from the rail top to the center of the Eotech window? I'm curious if the Eotech gives a lower dot than the Aimpoint. In my case I can see the front sight in the bottom of the Aimpoints window, but I can't sight using the irons through the M4's window. I've got a mini red dot that sits very low and actually cowitnesses exactly with the iron sights, but since the window of the mini RD is smaller, I think the Aimpoint will probably be faster.

jbkf1003
06-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Will do sir.

I think the aimpoint would be lower just because the eotech has a base where the buttons and such are. But I'll measure it and post pics. It is scheduled to be delivered early next week.

This is going on my enbloc fed - G. The mag fed is keeping it's irons, for now anyways :)

Thanks
Justin

jbkf1003
06-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Here is the 512 on my Enbloc Mini-G. It could maybe come a slot or two further back, it was comfortable for me here so I didn't change it. The middle of the window is about 1 3/8" - 1 1/2" up from the top of the ultimak rail.

I like this setup a lot.. I get a good chin weld, and I don't see the front sight in the window... A cheek riser might make it perfect, but I'd loose my ammo pouch.

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u673/jbkf1003/839b3592-66cd-4925-b142-52f001cc623b_zps5228f4f6.jpg

Jgun
06-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Looks good on there!. Have you had a chance to test it out? I checked the height of the Aimpoint and I get 1.2" to the center of the window on that, so I guess the Aimpoint is slightly lower, not much difference really. If it were me, I'd put it back as far as possible, that way you'll get the biggest field of view through the window that you can. I still haven't made it to the range to test out my setup yet. I'm a little disappointed because I just found out that they won't let me run an optic in the match that I had planned as my first with the G. Apparently they want all the guns to be in more or less in GI configuration. They did say that they'll allow me to run the G in the match, and they're OK with the Ultimak, just no optics, open sights only. I just ordered one of those fiber opic front sights, so hopefully I'll be able to hit something.

jbkf1003
06-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Unfortunately No, Just got it yesterday and mounted it last night. I will shoot for this weekend, but it's probably unlikely....

garandtom
06-18-2014, 06:01 PM
I wonder if there is enough clearance on the rail for the 3x magnifier.

Jgun
06-18-2014, 06:16 PM
I don't know this for a fact, but I've got the XP2, which is essentially the same optic, mounted on a rifle with a flip to side magnifier behind it. I think you could probably move the Eotech forward enough to fit the magnifier behind it on the Ultimak, but I think that the problem would be eye relief to the back of the magnifier. Unless you can locate a magnifier with extended eye relief, I don't know how well it would work with the magnifier mounted in front of the ejection port of the G.