PDA

View Full Version : Range Time With Vivien

HerkyBird
06-19-2014, 03:23 PM
I put a BM59 front sight on my Mini G a couple of months ago and finally got the time to take her out to the range today. Now, I've shot Vivien a fair amount, but not for accuracy since my very first time out and when I was just a few weeks post-PRK. Let me tell you, I am tickled pink. First off, the BM59 front sight is the bee's knees. The narrower post is just about perfect for the shorter sight radius on the Mini G. I started shooting at 50 yards with Greek HXP. I shot two 8-shot groups and two 3-shot groups. The two 8-shot groups measured 1 3/8" and 1 1/4". The first 3-shot measure 7/8" and the last a mere 5/8". I then switched to Remington Core-Lokt 150gr SP. Two 3-shot groups measured 1" and 1 1/4". I would've liked to have seen those groups measure less than an inch, but oh well. I didn't spend long on the 100 yard range...It was just getting too dang hot. I shot a 3 shot group with each load at 100 yds. I'm not sure what happened to the HXP. The group opened to nearly 8". I'm almost positive it was me, as I was bordering on heat stroke. I settled down for the Core-Lokt group, though. It measured a very respectable 2 1/8" with 2 shots touching. I think this is definitely a less than 2 MOA rifle. I was shooting off of sandbags on top of a picnic table...It was not the most stable platform. I think if I could finely tune a handload and put her in a vise to take a little more of me out of the equation, the groups would shrink even further. I don't think 1.25 - 1.5 MOA is out of the question. Still, just over 2 MOA (1.25 MOA if you want to go with the 5/8" group), is more than I had hoped for. Tim, I know I've said it before, but you put together one fine rifle.

HerkyBird
06-19-2014, 03:29 PM
5/8" 50 yard group...

2 1/8" 100 yard group...

And these should be rotated 90* clockwise. Stupid IPhone.

Orlando
06-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Looks like she shoots real nice

timshufflin
06-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Not bad, not bad at all.