PDA

View Full Version : Did a little diving Sunday

cuppednlocked
09-30-2014, 02:17 PM
I am trying out the vimeo site for video hosting. I was never impressed with photobucket for playback quality. I shoot using the GoPro in 1080 so I wanted the best resolution for playback.

I think this gives you a good idea of what it's like down there!

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/107621018" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/107621018">Aeolus Grouper</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user32855124">Black Water Diver</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/107621016" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/107621016">No fish for you!</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user32855124">Black Water Diver</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Prince Humperdink
09-30-2014, 04:46 PM
Awesome!I always wanted to dive, and explore WW2 wrecks but my lungs and body no longer work.When I could swim,I used to snorkel Lake Tahoe and catch monster crawdads!

seaninmich
09-30-2014, 04:47 PM
Bro, that looks coll as hell, but no chance you'd ever get me that close to a shark.

Punch The Clown
09-30-2014, 05:36 PM
Awesome!I always wanted to dive, and explore WW2 wrecks but my lungs and body no longer work.When I could swim,I used to snorkel Lake Tahoe and catch monster crawdads!

I dove the USS San Diego and the USS Turner. The Turner probably over 50 times. Both are pretty much picked clean now but in the day the San Diego was covered in 30-06 in stripper clips. I still have some somewhere.

cuppednlocked
09-30-2014, 06:15 PM
Punch,

I have friends that would argue the San Diego being picked clean. The easy stuff has been recovered for sure.

jbkf1003
09-30-2014, 07:27 PM
Nice... Did I miss where this was?

cuppednlocked
09-30-2014, 07:33 PM
Coast of NC.

Punch The Clown
10-01-2014, 05:21 AM
[QUOTE=cuppednlocked;46336]Punch,

I have friends that would argue the San Diego being picked clean. The easy stuff has been recovered for sure.[/QUOTE

You are right. I was over-simplifying. I started diving the San Diego in the late 70's and the stuff was there for the pickin-just lying on the sand. The easy stuff is gone-like you said. The last time I was on her was the late 80's. Penetration diving with steel 72's was not a big thing for us. We rarely went more than 10 or fifteen feet in. As far as the Turner, there is no penetrating. That is just a pile of rubble. I stand corrected.

cuppednlocked
10-01-2014, 06:50 AM
It is a much more dangerous dive now from what they tell me. Like the Doria. These guys are serious artifact hunters. Some won't go in the Doria because she is collapsing so badly. Decks are no longer flat and you can easily switch levels without knowing it.

It sounds like you and I might know some of the same people. They have been diving up you way for a long time!

centurion20000
10-01-2014, 12:28 PM
It is a much more dangerous dive now from what they tell me. Like the Doria. These guys are serious artifact hunters. Some won't go in the Doria because she is collapsing so badly. Decks are no longer flat and you can easily switch levels without knowing it.

Couldn't you just trail some 550 cord behind you just in case?

cuppednlocked
10-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Couldn't you just trail some 550 cord behind you just in case?

Line reels are used often. The problem is laying the line and where the line goes once it's off the reel. In zero viz, you can follow a line right into a bulkhead if it slips into a broken seam or crack.

Punch The Clown
10-01-2014, 05:09 PM

It sounds like you and I might know some of the same people. They have been diving up you way for a long time!

I just looked at my PADI card. July 79' and I was diving without a card since '75 or so. I haven't been in the water for about 6 years now, so I think my stuff needs a little work. My last real dive-not including changing props and zincs and stuff was the Relief. It's small but it is completely intact. I'm getting the itch I think.

Jimbo Slice
10-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Always wanted to get into diving. Alas, I'm afraid I'm too shot out to start now.

Guess I just have to live vicariously through others great vids... keep em coming. :cool:

Orlando
10-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Great video and discussion, thanks guys

Old Guard
10-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the refresher, My diving was in fresh water, PADI card went out years ago..I really got the bug to go while i was down in the caymen islands.we had to settle for going down in a submarine, the visability was very nice and the fish were just thick...Even as Senior I may go down again in the future..

cuppednlocked
10-02-2014, 01:16 PM
We used to have an 80ish year old guy who when diving on the boat. His last dive was after his 90th and he stopped voluntarily. If you use the "too old" description it may not be too late...

Old Guard
10-02-2014, 04:40 PM
We used to have an 80ish year old guy who when diving on the boat. His last dive was after his 90th and he stopped voluntarily. If you use the "too old" description it may not be too late...

I haven't used it much lately"too old", but there are things now I must admit, I will never try..some that I did want to do..like laying between two 25 year old women..

Jimbo Slice
10-02-2014, 08:01 PM
39 years old, smoker, drinker, mental midget with a penchant for buggery.

Would you dive with him (me)?

cuppednlocked
10-03-2014, 01:03 AM
It depends on who you plan on buggering!!!

Jimbo Slice
10-03-2014, 03:35 AM
I'd be buggering myself if I tried something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrXQbucZUDA

canes7
10-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Nice shot on the grouper! Now if you can only shoot a rifle that well!

Looks like big fun.

checkmate19
10-07-2014, 06:48 AM
I keep watching the videos and do not know where to start. WOW! Have you guys noticed his breathing ? My heart rate and breathing accelerated while watching all the sharks, I consumed more oxygen while watching than he did diving. I felt like I was watching Discovery channel, great video .

I was thinking Tims next hunting video , Tim could turn around his Mini g and butt stroke a Grizzly!

I showed my Wife and she was like holy crap,

checkmate19
04-14-2019, 11:04 PM
My wife and I have started diving again so only seems right to bring this thread back to the top. Your diving is a little bit different than our small reef sharks and nurse sharks LOL.

checkmate19
04-14-2019, 11:10 PM
I had not seen the Manta fly over or the Manta and sand tiger before pretty cool.

Bob W
04-15-2019, 10:03 PM
You guys get out to the West Coast give a shout- I'll take you out to the Channel Islands, Amazing diving where the currents converge, best in winter though, often 100+ viz. And don't worry about the Whites, I have only seen one in the last ten years or so. We'll even take PADI divers Stu.
We can work on getting you your NAUI certs. Heh Heh.

Punch The Clown
04-15-2019, 10:09 PM
All the certs are just money makers for the dive industry. The government seems to have overlooked regulating scuba. I guess they will get to it sooner or later.

Bob W
04-15-2019, 10:12 PM
Yeah, the best certs were the old Fire Dept certs in the 70's- you guys do those back there?

Punch The Clown
04-16-2019, 07:38 AM
No, PADI was the big one over here. Another ripoff is the "visual inspection". Some clown looks inside your tanks and wont fill them unless you buy a $15 apiece "inspection sticker". Ripoff

cuppednlocked
04-16-2019, 12:30 PM
No, PADI was the big one over here. Another ripoff is the "visual inspection". Some clown looks inside your tanks and wont fill them unless you buy a $15 apiece "inspection sticker". Ripoff

Unless you are getting EANx via partial pressure filling. I'm leery of blending gas in anyone else's tanks but my own...

Punch The Clown
04-17-2019, 07:38 AM
I,m old school. Compressed air. I never had a depth gauge until my bourdon tube was so full of algae I couldn't see into it anymore. I do dive in a dry suit however.

Bob W
04-17-2019, 02:29 PM
I'll use 32 to get a longer shallow day, but I'm usually on air and deco. So I rely completely on my computer, but my pony tanks still have tube gauges.

Narced is nice, long as your buddy isn't.

KamRent
08-12-2019, 09:02 PM
Congrats Mr. Hall
Imagine how much different your life would have been without Rickenbacker. Its an odd thing to think about.
Very heartwarming story

Punch The Clown
08-22-2019, 07:46 PM
Congrats Mr. Hall
Imagine how much different your life would have been without Rickenbacker. Its an odd thing to think about.
Very heartwarming story

I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter."