PDA

View Full Version : Another mail delivery today

rlelvis
07-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Got the CASM mounts today. First impression is a 9 out of 10.

Got home mounted it up and went to the range. Put 48 rounds down range, no problems.

Details

I mounted it on one of my worst shooting M1's ( FG, +3 at the muzzle, throat like a $2 whore, 3 pieces of 3x5 card stock under a loose trigger guard, well worn op rod, tight HG, trigger like a bolder, etc. etc.), mainly because I was not sure how much it would damage the finish on the front contact point. My first impression of the mount is that it is well made and well finished, not a big fan of the ‘Loud’ branding though. I placed it in two good receivers and there was less then .010in side to side play (much less in one), could be less but IMHO this is acceptable and should not have any long term impact on the sight ears. That said when I installed it the two holes for the set screws that hold the primary mounting screws in place were not cleanly tapped. It appears that the set screws were tapped first and then the main screws because they get excessively tight before they contacted the main screws to hold them. I did not force them and shot with them not in contact with the main screws through the sight ears but did check at the range and they did not loosen. I did not use lock tight since I will be removing the mount later. I mounted a cheapo 3x9x40 scope with some economy Millet rings. A better scope and QD rings to follow once I know the mount is 100%.

At the range the first thing I noticed was the lack of proper cheek weld and comfort due to the change in height. Expected but not supper easy to get used to and shoot. I did not take my rest but used the 8x8 and sandbag for a front rest. I think low or extra low rings might work best depending on the scope objective. You will see in the pics there is plenty of room with medium rings and a 40mm objective (over .5in) I started a 25 yards, it was off, low and left, could be the mount or the scope (not new but never been mounted before), no telling. Made two adjustments and went to 50 yards, one more adjustment and went to 100 yards. As far a mount alignment goes I only really needed the equivalent of 4+ MOA right when done but the elevation was much more. If I had to guess it was about 10+ MOA up. That said I DID NOT put a full half turn in the front mount screw like mentioned in the installation paper, maybe 1/8 turn. I bet the elevation adjustment would have been less if I went with one half a turn for tension and this is a cheap scope that was intended for a .22.

I did use the same M1 yesterday on my 4th of July shoot to shoot my Shuff-o-Rama winning targets and got a glorious 8 in group. I figured if I knew where I was before the scope then I would see some improvement and could never shoot good enough for the ‘freebee’s. I shot a total of 48 rounds single load and fairly fast. I would shoot the first three or four at one target and the rest at another once I saw the vertical stringing with heat. I did not dial in as much as I could have since the mount and scope will not be staying on this M1. I just wanted to see how it worked and if it held zero. Anyway here are the two final targets. The ‘cold’ target was 20 rounds about 2 ¾ and the ‘hot target was 14 rounds 5+.

IMHO the mount worked well and does not too bad once installed.

Now you know the rest of the story.

timshufflin
07-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Yah, right...

dogboysdad
07-05-2011, 10:27 PM
I like that.

rlelvis
07-05-2011, 10:29 PM
More pictures

rlelvis
07-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Yah, right...

Photoshop man, it never happened

rlelvis
07-05-2011, 11:05 PM
I like that.

Yes, good first time out, no real down side that I see and better built then most 'stuff' out there. Just a little slow on the first delivery but they are in stock now.

Punch The Clown
07-05-2011, 11:17 PM
This is the Sadlak which is well respected. It too puts the scope way high as the M14/M1 receiver design seems to dictate it. Super low rings are in order for sure.

http://www.sadlak.com/Images/m14_scope_mountcmp_a.jpg

This cheek pad is from Springfield. I think it'll help the weld.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/734/734481.jpg

Punch The Clown
07-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Thanks rlelvis. Until Tim installs the "Thank You Button" we'll have to use Borat!

http://www.freewebs.com/laredprase/thumbs-up.jpg

Punch The Clown
07-05-2011, 11:38 PM
rlelvis, I feel that any lowering they can do on the mount should be done. I see 1/4-3/8" that the mount can be lowered. If they mortise the picatinny into the rear sight block and remove the same amount from the pad at the front end they would have it but it looks workable now. they also have that cool red dot base Stu.

http://www.m14.ca/m14m1acasm-rd/images/m14m1acasm-rd_large.jpg

cuppednlocked
07-06-2011, 09:40 AM
You had me at,
"throat like a $2 whore".

paid4c4
07-06-2011, 11:34 AM
"FG, +3 at the muzzle, throat like a $2 whore, 3 pieces of 3x5 card stock under a loose trigger guard, well worn op rod" Or what we call a Kentucky Match Rifle. Throat like a $2 whore would be called a Cincinnati virgin!
Bill

garandtom
07-06-2011, 03:50 PM
how does the mount attach to the front of reciever?

Punch The Clown
07-06-2011, 06:18 PM

It doesn't. The mount is firmly attached to the rear. The front "preloads" the mount with an adjustable set screw. Stu

MH53GUNNER
07-06-2011, 06:19 PM

I was just wondering the same thing after seeing the mount. There appears to be a set screw on the front of the mount???? I like better than the S&K mount.

rlelvis
07-07-2011, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=Kid Shelleen;7164]rlelvis, I feel that any lowering they can do on the mount should be done. I see 1/4-3/8" that the mount can be lowered. If they mortise the picatinny into the rear sight block and remove the same amount from the pad at the front end they would have it but it looks workable now. they also have that cool red dot base Stu.

Yes it could definitely be lower although I am not sure how much. I mainly wanted this to go on a Mini G so I will have to work on the comb height and fit once I get all the parts together.

I may try it on another M1 once I find the scope and mounts that I will be using. I want to see if the front of the mount does any notable damage to the finish. It seemed to hold zero well but it was hard to tell with the M1 I mounted it on, that's why the details long description of condition. I did have several in a very tight group when cool so I am confident to give it a GO for now. I was even impressed with the $45 scope since it did hold up, for now anyway.

I dropped one in the mail to Jerome, MI so I think there will be another review posted shortly. May or may not be as positive as mine. We shall see.

cuppednlocked
07-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Just a thought on finish wear...

I have some smaller pieces of kydex left over. You could heat and bend to shape to fit the contour of the receiver for the adjustment. I'm guessing it'll be too thick but heating it and screwing the adjustment should dimple the kydex sufficiently.

If you want to try it let me know and I'll put some in the mail to you ASAP.

Can you still load an enbloc or is this a mag-fed/single load only?

rlelvis
07-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Just a thought on finish wear...

I have some smaller pieces of kydex left over. You could heat and bend to shape to fit the contour of the receiver for the adjustment. I'm guessing it'll be too thick but heating it and screwing the adjustment should dimple the kydex sufficiently.

If you want to try it let me know and I'll put some in the mail to you ASAP.

Can you still load an enbloc or is this a mag-fed/single load only?

No you can't load an enbloc, I was single loading. Would be best on mag-fed for sure.

rlelvis
07-10-2011, 09:46 AM
This cheek pad is from Springfield. I think it'll help the weld.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/734/734481.jpg

Might need to double up the two tallest ones to get in line with these rings. ;)

My plan is to get to put this on a Mini G in .35 so I will probably go with something permanent then. Just haven't decided exactly what yet.

I did have the opportunity to mount a 50mm with Burris tactical med rings on the mount to check height. I did not shoot it but was much happier with the fit, still need lower rings though.

cuppednlocked
07-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Bob,

I also have a scope-eze cheekpad (tallest version) if you want to try it.

rlelvis
07-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Bob,

I also have a scope-eze cheekpad (tallest version) if you want to try it.

PM Sent .