PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 7.62x54R

howie
07-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Anyone had any luck reloading for Mosins? We've got one, and two more to be delivered tomorrow. Also wondering, for those who have done it, the best way to decap the berdan primed stuff.

Tuna
07-10-2011, 08:27 PM
You really want to reload Berdan primed cases? Good luck as it's not an easy thing to do but the big problem is finding the correct size Berdan primer let alone finding any Berdan primers in the US. They have not been imported in quite awhile now as there is little to no demand for them.

mixmaster
07-10-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm with Tuna on this one. Just for the heck of it ,look at the empty case and try to figure out how you are going to remove the primer. There is a tool for this and I don't know if it is still on the market. You can get re loadable cases for this caliber but I would just leave the Berdan primed case at the range. Not worth the effort at this time.

musketjon
07-13-2011, 10:36 PM
I bought my ammo from Midway--boxer primed and non-corrosive. Reloaded great as well. It works out to about $17 a box incl. shipping. It's made in Bulgaria.
Jon

Frederick
07-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Why not just shoot the cheap junk?

howie
07-14-2011, 07:42 AM
I don't have a problem shooting the cheap stuff, but the biggest reason I got started in reloading is so my crew would have ammo, and plenty of it when the zombies come. Don't you think it possible that someday we won't be able to buy factory ammo anymore? I don't think it's that far a stretch, but I've been wrong before.

Punch The Clown
07-14-2011, 07:53 AM
To de-cap them, get a piece of rod or dowel around .300, get a block of wood, use a wood bit to drill a shallow hole in the block of wood the size of the cartridge head. In the center of the hole you just drilled drill another hole all the way through the size of the primer. fill the cartridge with water, put it in the block of wood, put the rod in the neck, and smack it with a hammer. The primer will pop out. Stu

Punch The Clown
07-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Whoa, here is a great writeup on how to convert the cases to boxer. Stu

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/topic/25275/t/Berdan-to-Boxer-Conversion-Method.html