PDA

View Full Version : CMP M1C's-Golden Parachute or Lead Balloon

Punch The Clown
04-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Is an M1 with Greek "park", an Anniston installed barrel, and re-staked scope mount screws worth 3 large? Not to me.

Cal30M1
04-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Would there be a linky link to this fine example?

howie
04-25-2011, 07:50 PM
MY CMP SA SG is a greek park. I don't like it. Some day Shuffwill get it....

jak
04-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Is an M1 with Greek "park", an Anniston installed barrel, and re-staked scope mount screws worth 3 large? Not to me.

Nope, not to me either. CMP is going to have those M1C's for a long time. Just like their National Match rifles.
An USGI armory rebuilt M1C and an Anniston rebuild M1C are two different things

herrmann
04-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Not me either. I got sucked in by the first offering of the "Ds" and paid $2,200.00 only to see the price drop to $1,500.00. I will wait and see.

canes7
04-26-2011, 09:01 AM
No, not to me.

When a Garand gets priced over $800-$1000 it really has to be something truly special for me to even consider it. I think these guys spending 10's of k's on gas traps are crazy. I think the Garand bubble is going to pop soon. I've said it before over on the3 CMP forum, maybe on the old BT, but once the cheap suplus ammo is gone the interest will wane quickly. Once the CMP is out of Garands, the price will increase for a year or so then drop like a rock.

The next generation of gun owners isn't really into Garands like we are. They are more into the black rifles and fancy carbines with all the crazy accessories. Sure there are a few here and there, but they do not display near the interest we do. I've lent my Garands out to young AR shooters, almsot all say they put it away after the first clip because they didn't like the recoil.

So what does this all add up to? Declining demand and declining value.

Crazy Horse
04-26-2011, 09:03 AM
They will sit there, much like all the NM rifles and the M1D's. Nobody is paying that kind of coin for the condition that most of these rifles are in. Unless there is some reaaaaalllly deep pockets out there.
I'd much rather have Tim build me up a D and have the rest of the coin for ammo.

timshufflin
04-26-2011, 09:13 AM
I really don't understand the kids who frown on the recoil of the Garand. First, when I was a kid we were drawn to the guns with more recoil, it was like a tough guy thing. Shooting rifles with more recoil was kind of like the guy who had the most tackles in the game. Is there no chivalry anymore? Second, the Garand has NO recoil! Are these kids who frown on the recoil just casual clowns who pick up a rifle to shoot once and never again? Anyone who hunts will have had to shoot a "real gun". Try a turkey load, goose load, or other good bird load in a 12 gauge mag, it stings! The damn Garand feels like a BB gun compared to a 3.5" turkey load.

I call sissy on any kid between the ages of 14 and 69 who thinks the Garand has recoil. I might even throw out a more harsh War Room term.

By the way, if any of you are the "sissy" type and think the Garand has recoil, do yourself a favor and put a Smith brake on the end of the thing. Bye bye BB gun recoil.

canes7
04-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Tim.. I agree. Many of these kids became interested in Garands because of movies and so on. I would guess that not many of them ever fired a bolt action deer rifle or a 3 1/2 12 ga. magnum goose load (let alone shooting one all day).

jak
04-26-2011, 10:14 AM
There is no recoil on a Sony playstation or at an arcade. That's what these kids are use to....not the real thing.

canes7
04-26-2011, 10:23 AM
There is no recoil on a Sony playstation or at an arcade. That's what these kids are use to....not the real thing.

Very good point!

slikwilli420
04-26-2011, 03:03 PM
First of all, prices on everything are stupid high. I love to restore as much as shoot and have done both since getting into this hobby 3 years ago when Timmy put my first one together. The bubble will break, and its just a question of when. Im restoring a Gas Trap and a six digit Winchester, and there is no way I will make any money on either, mostly becasue I never plan to sell. I do it becasue I love doing it. Im only 25, and this is the best way for me to connect with the past. The prices on everything are prohibitive, both to collectors and shooters. When the bubble finally pops, I will be there waiting for fair-weather M1 fans to drop like flies.

Prince Humperdink
04-26-2011, 03:06 PM
I can't wait for prices to drop,then I can buy some of the things I need to make all of My M1's correct!Just a few Years ago I was paying at least Half of what the current values are!
Ryan

JWinILL
04-26-2011, 03:32 PM
I can't wait for prices to drop,then I can buy some of the things I need to make all of My M1's correct!Just a few Years ago I was paying at least Half of what the current values are!
Ryan

Me too.When I started out to restore a 6 digit WRA I was able to afford most of the parts.Now it's just sitting in pieces in a box as parts prices keep on climbing and available funds keep decreasing.As for those M1Cs,they'll be sitting on the racks forever like those "NM" dogs.

howie
04-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Anybody who cries about recoil from a Garand has obviously never shot my little brother's .460 Weatherby Mag.

NightMaher
04-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Let the bubble burst if it must! I purchased my rifles not as an investment, but for something to have and to shoot. From my first M1, a 6 digit SA that Tim has reparked for me, to my latest, and HRA, I love 'em all, and have no intentions of getting rid of them. OTOH, it would be nice if the IHC prices would come down; that is the only one I don't own yet.

Big Ben
04-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Anybody who cries about recoil from a Garand has obviously never shot my little brother's .460 Weatherby Mag.

Or, believe it or not, my Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. Definitely more recoil than a Garand

mike9905
04-27-2011, 10:21 PM
The CMP has re-barreled the M1C rifles now being offered? If that's the case, as far as I'm concerned, all collector value is gone. The rifle description says nothing about the rifles not being original. Not that I would put 3K into one.

Orlando
04-29-2011, 05:20 PM
I cant wait for CMP to run out of Garands, I'll be unloading the safe when they do

loboft
05-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I remember, back when I was about 14 or 15, my best friend and I took his Granpa's 8mm Mauser that he had brought back from WarII to the creek, with a box of shells that Jim probably stole from Grandpa's closet, lol. We shot up a bunch of turtles. Gawd, it was impressive what it would do. Anyway, Steel butt pad, and I weighed all of maybe 130 lbs back then. We never thought the recoil was bad. I have to agree with Tim on the 3 1/2". Think I would rather hunt turkey with a garand.... ;)

howie
05-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Welcome, loboft. Hope you're ready for this.:)