Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The case that killed My 1917

Isn't that a little hard on the upholstery and loud in the house.
    You should be reported for child abuse.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

I'd still slug the barrel and mic it. Also, one of your targets has what looks like jacket separation.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Patriot
    Could be possible that the light weight bullets you are using had a separation of the bullet jacket. Leaving part of the jacket in the bore.that would act almost like a bullet still in the bore and give you tremendous chamber pressure. On this I speak from personal FU. Had a 310 Martini action I built into a 22 Hornet. This action is very strong and I thought I could really soup up the loads. Well after having the thin jacketed bullets blow up at the muzzle I changed to some bullets I had pulled from some mil ammo and loaded them. Guess what . The first round stripped its jacket and the second round pushed it out. Results look somewhat like yours. The evidence by the way was a strange and funny keyhole in the target.You could actually see the swagged collar around the bullet on the target.Not very clear but it showed up as an odd deformity on the target.BTW the only thing that suffered was the barrel as the head space was gone. Just a thought from my FU book.
    Mix

Was there any chance that the case fired prior to the kaboom seperated at the neck and left the front 1/4"-1/2" or so still stuck in the chamber? If you didn't pick it up or look at it after it ejected, you wouldn't have known.The kaboom round would have tried to seat against the shoulder of the previous case and with the cock on closure feature on the M1917, I could see it possibly touching off the primer while the round was not fully inside the chamber. Depending on how agressive you were in working the bolt, you probably wouldn't even notice the resistance as the bullet pushed into the seperated case.
    It's just a theory based on a similar incident I saw on a Mauser board some years back. But that one didn't result in a destroyed gun.
    Last edited by Schriv; 08-21-2011 at 02:44 PM.
    Some people are like slinkies.
    They aren't good for much, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Schriv View Post
    Was there any chance that the case prior fired to the kaboom seperated at the neck and left the front 1/4"-1/2" or so still stuck in the chamber? If you didn't pick it up or look at it after it ejected, you wouldn't have known.The kaboom round would have tried to seat against the shouldr of the previous case and with the cock on closure feature on the M1917, I could see it possibly touching off the primer while the round was not fully inside the chamber. Depending on how agressive you were in working the bolt, you probably wouldn't even notice the resistance as the bullet pushed into the seperated case.
    It's just a theory based on a similar incident I saw on a Mauser board some years back. But that one didn't result in a destroyed gun.
    We may have a Winner!I just got a light and looked from the breech.there is something wedged in the throat buti can't remove it.I know for a fact it wasn't there during the day before cleaning.

Stu,I slugged the barrell,and it was good.
    Thanks for all the input Fellas....I also discovered that the Receiver now has a Hairline crack now
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Damn..Thats too bad about the receiver. So much for trying to rebuild her.
    If you have a broken shell extractor, you may be able to pull out that obstruction. I wouldn't be too surprised if it's a mangled case neck.
    Some people are like slinkies.
    They aren't good for much, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Schriv View Post
    Damn..Thats too bad about the receiver. So much for trying to rebuild her.
    If you have a broken shell extractor, you may be able to pull out that obstruction. I wouldn't be too surprised if it's a mangled case neck.
    I got a flashlight and looked in.It is obstructed with several compressed bullet jackets(looks like a copper sandwiches) set just inside the throat.There must have been outrageous pressure as those bullets squeezed by.I will try to get it out for pics.That explains why it was keyholing so bad,every time must have left a jacket!
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Why were they stripping off? Did a piece of the neck actually come off in the throat?
    In God we trust, all others pay cash.

Any idea which bullets, weight or brand, were separating?

I know it’s no help now but I did have a distinct ring of rock hard fouling in one of my 1917 drill rifles, CMP purchase. It was just in front of the chamber. I shot some LC that my Garands did not like through it and once I got home I found some indications of high pressure; from flat primers to head deformation and even two that looked pierced. It was then that I found the ring of fouling. It looked like what I get when I shoot Triple Seven in my inline but ALLOT harder to remove. When I got the 1917’s the bores were rough and I cleaned them extensively before I shot them. I foamed them overnight a couple of times, I used countless patches and soak time with Shooter Choice, Hoppe’s, and Sweets and even dozens of passes with JB Paste. Figured they were good and anything left would be loosed with a trip to the range and a good hot bbl followed with some Hoppe’s. It was after that trip that I found the ring of crud. It actually took a pointed scribe held with vise grips and a flashlight to dislodge the ring of fouling. Once I broke pieces loose I was able to brush the rest out. Since I have not had any problems with cases or signs of pressure.

I know it’s absolutely no help now but if this contributed to the jacket separation it would be good to know.
    "Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"

Quote Originally Posted by rlelvis View Post
    Any idea which bullets, weight or brand, were separating?

I know it’s no help now but I did have a distinct ring of rock hard fouling in one of my 1917 drill rifles, CMP purchase. It was just in front of the chamber. I shot some LC that my Garands did not like through it and once I got home I found some indications of high pressure; from flat primers to head deformation and even two that looked pierced. It was then that I found the ring of fouling. It looked like what I get when I shoot Triple Seven in my inline but ALLOT harder to remove. When I got the 1917’s the bores were rough and I cleaned them extensively before I shot them. I foamed them overnight a couple of times, I used countless patches and soak time with Shooter Choice, Hoppe’s, and Sweets and even dozens of passes with JB Paste. Figured they were good and anything left would be loosed with a trip to the range and a good hot bbl followed with some Hoppe’s. It was after that trip that I found the ring of crud. It actually took a pointed scribe held with vise grips and a flashlight to dislodge the ring of fouling. Once I broke pieces loose I was able to brush the rest out. Since I have not had any problems with cases or signs of pressure.

I know it’s absolutely no help now but if this contributed to the jacket separation it would be good to know.
    Bob,thanks for the tip.I cleaned it almost like You said(except for JB)when I got it.It actually looks shiny from the breech,and it isn't until You look at the muzzle area You can see how pitted it is.I 'll have to find another receiver or rifle later on.
    Ryan