Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's our Krag expert?

Who's our Krag expert?

I traded for this yesterday. I really do not know much about Krags at all but figured this would look good between my Trapdoor Springfield and my 1903. The rifle has a scripted P cartouche and a few other smaller stamps. It is as long as my Trapdoor rifle. The bore is in decent shape, the muzzle measures a 2, there is a bit of pitting (not uncommon for a rifle 113 years old) but the rifling is strong and the bore is shiny.

So does anyone know about ammo for these? Reloading tips? Any expectation of accuracy? And most of all, how the F do you load these things?

!

NICE rifle Dan! Congratulations!

I'm not the expert you are looking for but I do have one and can answer a couple of your questions.

So does anyone know about ammo for these? In my area of TX it's expensive. I've seen it at Gander Mountain every once in a while. About $35-$40 for a 20 cartridge box.
    Reloading tips? Can't help you.
    Any expectation of accuracy? Haven't shot mine yet so I'm no help.
    And most of all, how the F do you load these things? Open the magazine by taking your thumb and applying pressure away and down on the thumb plate (my terminology). You load the cartridges there. They feed into the chamber from the left side of the bolt.
    M1CC Member #111
    NRA Member

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wgandy View Post
    NICE rifle Dan! Congratulations!

I'm not the expert you are looking for but I do have one and can answer a couple of your questions.

So does anyone know about ammo for these? In my area of TX it's expensive. I've seen it at Gander Mountain every once in a while. About $35-$40 for a 20 cartridge box.
    Reloading tips? Can't help you.
    Any expectation of accuracy? Haven't shot mine yet so I'm no help.
    And most of all, how the F do you load these things? Open the magazine by taking your thumb and applying pressure away and down on the thumb plate (my terminology). You load the cartridges there. They feed into the chamber from the left side of the bolt.
    I used to have a 6.5x55 Norweigen Krag,and it took a bit of getting used to just dumping the rounds in,but it was quite reliable.Congrats on a new addition.
    Ryan
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Thanks for the replies guys. I really do not plan on shooting it much, but you never know...

Now to find a cheap bayonet!
    !

Hey Dan I just found this thread, you have a very nice looking rifle. Mine is a a few thousand below yours, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay? I paid around 850 for mine and 100 for a 1902 bayonet. I know my krag is the most smooth bolt action I've ever used and I hope yours is the same way, like two panes of glass sliding across each other. Congrats on a very nice rifle.

Hey LCPL... Thanks...I traded a parts Garand for it, so I have about $450 invested ito the rifle. The action on mine is smooth as glass too. I'm considering using it for vintage matches. Do you have any idea about ammo for these things?
    !

Remington & Winchester both still load .30-40 krag ammo. You usually find it at bigger retailers Cabela's, Gander, etc.
    Remember the cases are rimmed, so when you dump them in the magazine try to line them up so the rims won't catch on each other.
    I've got one with a semi-sewer pipe barrel that really isn't that bad on paper, just gotta shoot it to see.
    I've got a nice easy load for you but I can't find my old Speer book, I'll look for it and get back to you on that one.
    In God we trust, all others pay cash.

If you are going to load for Krags and want accuracy than go with 220 gr round noses its what they are throated for. I had one and it shot well with 180's on up but anything under 180 was a pattern. The sights are also regulated for the 220 grain.
    Mack

I found a light load in my Nosler book, 180gr. bullets, 32.0gr of 3031, should be about 2000fps.
    I do remember reading that they work better with the heavier bullets, like Mack says.
    In God we trust, all others pay cash.

Thanks guys!
    !