Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 1911 Build Report

First 1911 Build Report

I've started my first 1911 build. I decided on the Wilson Combat Carbon Steel frame and slide. The Wilson set comes pre-fitted and is on sale for 429 on their website. Purchase to shipping is about 7 days and they have great communications and don't hit your cc until the day it ships. Most of my internal parts are from a parts kit I got in a trade which came from a new Kimber 5in Government model pistol. I will be using Wilson springs and pins. I'm thinking about using CERAKOTE for a finish. I would like some comments on CERAKOTE good or bad and any recommendations for shops which apply CERAKOTE. I will be using a black color probably gloss or semi gloss with ivory grips. I'm keeping a running total for the build and will post it upon completion.
    Bill
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

Thanks for the update. I'll be looking forward to following the progress of your build.
    M1CC Member #111
    NRA Member

Ha ha ha, Ivory it is! I would have suspected nothing else my friend.

My Dan Wesson 1911 has a factory Cerakote finish. Seems to be holding up well to holster wear
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    My Dan Wesson 1911 has a factory Cerakote finish. Seems to be holding up well to holster wear
    Bill, what color is your 1911? Is it flat, gloss or semi gloss? I'm trying the decide between gloss or semi in Black.
    Bill
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

chrome BLING.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Patriot
    ive got a sig p6 that i sent and had ceracoated /called cera hide at this company/in the stainless lookalike it turned out nice and it self lubricates real slick and smooth no sign of any holster wear afetr a year and half of in and out http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/ Photobucket
    Last edited by deputy85; 09-02-2011 at 03:48 PM.

I would call it flat

"I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Labor Day update, I spent most of yesterday afternoon fitting and installing the parts in the receiver/frame. Some parts dropped right in some had to be coaxed with a light file or stone. Got it all together and much to my surprise it worked! Other than sore fingers it went pretty well. Actually 1911's aren't very complex, it's like building a very small M1 Garand. I now have a lot better understanding of what makes a 1911 operate. Next is loading the slide and trying the two pieces together. Keep you advised.
    Bill
    Bill

Latest update of build. Talked with John at Wilson today regarding the rear sight cut on the slide and the installation of both front and rear sights. I've decided to go with the Nite Eyes Snag Free Sight Set, Part # 367T. I was impressed with John's attitude, he told me to mark my package to his attention. He said he would remember our conversation and get right it. Nice to find someone willing to go that extra step to offer personalized service. He reminded me a lot of our beloved Timmy.
    Next action will be testing the receiver when I test fire it using a spare slide i have ready to go.
    Bill
    Bill