Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some advice

Junior Cadet

I need some advice

One of my brother firefighters and best friends is a Marine and was wounded in Afghanistan a few months ago. After talking to him and finding out that his grandfather was a Marine, he served as a mortar crew member in WW2, he said his grandfather carried a M1 Carbine.

Anyway to make a long story short he wants an M1 Carbine, and I felt compelled to get him one. He said if he could ever get one he would like a Saginaw or Inland and have it reparked with and a new stock. And that's my goal to give him exactly what he wants after all its the least I can do, My question is would it be cheaper to build one or buy one?

I can't answer your question regards to a carbine, but when I built a Garand a few years back it cost me roughly $100-$150 more than buying a CMP SG. With that being said, building one, IMHO, was MUCH more gratifying, fun, educational, etc., than just buying one. I think if you build him one, you'll get much more out of the experience than just shelling out some cash, but that's just me.
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

Probably cheaper to buy one but a heck of a lot more fun to build one. You might as well get two of them to build as by the time you are finished with one you will probably not want to part with it.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

Junior Cadet
    Does anyone know where to get parts for one or two?

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Ryan, you're the man.
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

Founding Member
    You are heading down a slippery slop!!!!! I started on this same journey you are going. About 5 years ago. NOW i have a total of 12 ww2 battle rifles. Buy a complete rifle and have it sent to his house. DONT touch it or even look at it very long or you are done for. A good place to go is gunbroker. You cant test the waters there. PM some of the guys selling rifles or ww2 pistols. Just keep your eyes open. And do a little searching on the web. (PS) It becomes addictting though. You may have to consult a doctor after you are done. PEace toolman

Gunsofamerica.com

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Ryan, you're the man.
    LOL,no,I just have a lot of"free time"
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Junior Cadet
    If I added right using mostly Inland parts, with a new barrel and stock it will be about 1028.20 before shipping to build one, I would like to get a Barreled receiver and go from there

Junior Cadet
    Try looking at the Sparta gun show. You might find a good rifle there to start with or maybe rebarrel. Also there is usually a guy there from McMinnville that sells a lot of carbine parts that could help you.
    Thanks Heath