Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: cycling failure.

cycling failure.

I am relatively new to the M1 World and would appreciate some assistance in figuring out a problem that I have with my M1 Garand. When I have tried firing my rifle, it would eject the old cartridge; however it would not chamber the next round, giving the impression that it was a short cycling problem. I thought that there might be a problem with the gas cylinder or the operating rod, however after trying a different gas cylinder and having someone check the operating rod, the problem still remained. I checked the operating rod to make sure that it was not rubbing against the stock, and that works fine without any rubbing. All of the moving parts have been cleaned greased as suggested. It was mentioned that the barrel was possibly a replacement and was wondering what the proper gas port diameter is for the hole from the barrel to the gas cylinder is. Any suggestions would be appreciated as to what could be wrong - thanks.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    First off,Welcome!2nd,when You say the op rod was checked was it for the bend?Did You have the piston diameter checked?Your Gas cylinder could also be out of spec allowing enough gas to pass by that it cannot cycle.I had a case where this happened when I used a worn piston in a worn gas cylinder,but when I used an op rod that was in spec it worked fine,and the worn piston functioned with an"as new" gas cylinder.HTH,
    Ryan
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

The operating rod was checked to see if the piston was in spec, which it was; They did also say that they thought that the rest of the operating rod looked fine also. I have tried two different gas cylinders (the original and a a "newer" cylinder) both had relatively the same preformance.

Jonathan

What ammo you shooting? I know, seems dumb, just humor me LOL.

De-linked LC I'll bet.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Currently I am firing Remington 150 grain commercial rounds. I have heard that I should use military surplus rounds, or an adjustable gas plug but I am working on that.

Commercial ammo is not good without an adjustable gas plug. Please don't ask how I know. It's too painful to think about. I think I'll get a few "amen's" from the brethren when I tell you not to shoot any more commercial stuff until you get an adjustable plug.
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

Okay, LC ruled out. Here's some things on my list that I see most commonly. Others here always have great idears too so you'll get lots of feedback.

You ruled out piston, oprod rub and cylinder so here goes
    1. Poppet valve in the gas cylinder. Make sure it's not cracked at the bottom. Make sure it's not stuck open with sand or something. Clean it.
    2. When you fire the 8th round does the bolt hold open? If so, try an oprod spring of less power. If not, try a new oprod spring. There's Orion 7 and Wolff for starters.
    3. Gas port is about 5/64 +or-. Depends on commercial or GI barrel. Shouldn't be larger than 5/64ths though.

ok, the bolt does not remain open after the 8th shot. Tim, are the springs you suggested for a situation where the bolt does not stay open after the 8th shot?

... and the gas port is approx 5/64