Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping a Rifle USPS

Shipping a Rifle USPS

I sold a rifle to a resident on my own state ,Ohio. He is legally able to posess a firearm , etc, etc ,etc. Since he is a resident on my state I can ship directly to him without going through a FFL.
    I am going to ship USPS Priority Mail and my question is: Do I have to tell the PO that there is a firearm in the box???
    I am hearing different opinions but cant find anything on the USPS website. I dont want to tell them if I dont legally "have" to as they might not even know the rules and think I'm not even allowed to ship a firearm and end up being a big hassle

Thanks guys
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Break it down, and then it's a box of machine parts.
    In God we trust, all others pay cash.

According to my post office, and I've asked them this, no you don't.

I just read this recently. You are allowed to mail firearms, you do not have to tell the PO you are mailing a firearm, and the PO said not to label the box "Firearms". Sorry I didn't bookmark the link.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

This is off Gunbroker's site.

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
    A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    Break it down, and then it's a box of machine parts.
    Not really as the reciever is what is considered the firearm so you would have a box of machine parts and a firearm

Thanks for the help guys
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    According to my post office, and I've asked them this, no you don't.

Not according to the USPS. When I had my blow out with that bitch last year and had to file complaints with the USPS, I was told that I DO have to disclose to the post office that it is a firearm as I am required to prove that it is not loaded and there is no ammunition in the box with the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    I just read this recently. You are allowed to mail firearms, you do not have to tell the PO you are mailing a firearm, and the PO said not to label the box "Firearms". Sorry I didn't bookmark the link.

They don't want the box marked, but you have to tell them what it is when you drop it off. Trust me, I went round and round with this for weeks with the USPS

Punch Sez: I read the thing last night. It says that federal Law does not require you to disclose what is in the box HOWEVER if it is known to be a firearm the postal folks do have a right to demand the firearm be inspected to insure that it is not loaded sooooooo the bottom line here is not to plaster the box with FRAGILE FIREARMS WARNING DANGER and if the po folk ask you just tell them it's a telescope or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    Not really as the reciever is what is considered the firearm so you would have a box of machine parts and a firearm

Thanks for the help guys
    Hey Orlando, what if you mate an AR upper with a FAL lower. It won't be a firearm.