Thread: Reload annomally

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar

Question Reload annomally

I have been finding that some of My loads are failing to fire,but the primer is getting struck as normal.The bullet enters the bore about 1",and upon inspection I find that the Powder is intact,but some is dicolored and stuck together.I have been reloading for about 20 years,and have never had this happen.ideas?
    thanks,
    Ryan
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

btw,These are for my M1's
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Junior Cadet
    I have seen this happen before.Contamination of the powder from some types of tumbling media additives on the inside of the case,bullet lubes on cast bullets migrating into the powder,case lubes getting inside the case prior to charging with powder.One incident I saw the primer fired and pushed the powder which was one solid chunk and the bullet about an inch out of the case.The powder was stuck to the base of the bullet when he knocked the bullet out with a ramrod.
    Death is but another path we all must take.

That makes a lot of sense!I recently started using a tumbler and the media is dyed walnut shells.It used to leave red residue,but I never thought about it!I do know that the Powder still burns when dumped out,but must be contaminated by the primer?Thank You,
    Ryan

Junior Cadet
    There is also the possibility that your primers have become contaminated and are not producing the needed spark. But with the powder clumping together it's a sure sign that something is wrong with the powder and you said the color is also changing. That is the powder changing it's checmical make up and breaking down. I would check the container of powder your using. Look for any signs of what appears to be fine rust in it. If you do find that then the powder is no longer useable. If you should smell a strong acid smell from the powder then again it's changing and time to dump it.

I only buy 1 lb at a time,and load it up.I smell the powder regularly(yes,I also like the smell),and I watch every scoop,as I still do not trust anything but My scale and dipper.The funny thing is when when I toss it in the fire it bursts into flame.But yes,I have to mash it up in the case to get it out.Thanks for the tips,and if it happens again I'll try to photograph the powder.
    Thanks,
    Ryan