Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CMP M1D's - BOGUS?

FYI - When the CMP sold those NOS barrel last year there were some M1D barrels in the mix.
    !

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    Here's a scenario. Buy an M1D, spin off the barrel and spin on a humped one, return the rifle. The CMP puts it back into inventory, sell it to someone else and there you have it. While you're at it swap out all the really nice parts for some shitty ones, including the furniture. Punch
    That is not something I even thought about.

I didn't think those NIW D barrels were milled for the block. Those would be a perfect example of a CMP buikt D.

Well I was curious as to this mysterious source the OP over at CMP said an armorer told him about.
    So I emailed customer service.
    I got a nice chuckle but no real information.

My email to them with a quote from the forum:
    Could you please provide a reference source (document title, book title) to verify what this customer was told as quoted from the forum?

I did email customer service and they had an armor call
    me. He had done some research and explained that according
    to reference material they have in their library, my barrel was
    indeed used for M1d rifles. He did say however that this may
    not be common knowledge and would be happy to replace my
    barrel with a 555 barrel. Even though I trust what he said I think
    I will take them up on the offer to have it replaced.

Customer service sent it to the armorers:

See email below. Do you have any idea what armorer he is referring to?

Armorer sent me an email:

(OP real name redacted), Has had Cathy to mail you a return label and will swap barrels out. Armory

My response to armorer:

I am not the customer.
    I was quoting his post in the CMP forum.
    I would like the source of the reference material he referenced.

Thank you

Armorer response to me:

The boss had given (OP real name redacted) this information from some text he has accumulated over the years and they are out there at gun shows for the public. It was not CMP reference material. Armory

END

I hope you could follow that if you were interested. Would it really have been that hard to get the name of the text? If the text are out at the Gun shows then where did the "not common knowledge" comment come from or did the OP get it wrong?

Either way, I'm not pursuing it anymore. I don't have a rifle with the questionable barrel so I really don't care. Just mildly curious.

WHERE GOOD PEOPLE HAVE GUNS, EVIL DARES NOT TREAD. Mark Muller

How quickly we forget the film last year showing the inner workings of the CMP. The film that showed the rifles broken down into parts, put into huge parts washers, and then packed up into crates. Remember the hundreds of op rods all boxed up and ready to go on rifles. The faithful died a little watching that film but the CMP assured everyone that those rifles were just a small minority and any rifles sold are in original condition. And all was well again.

This video was removed from the American Rifleman's site but fortunately it went viral. I saved a copy on my computer.
    Last edited by Punch The Clown; 09-21-2011 at 09:22 PM.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Wow

I never saw this. What a load of crap.

Civilian Misdirection Program

This is no shocker to me. As far as I'm concerned all M1's are mutts, and it's nice to know the CMP cleans and checks them somewhat. The real blow was to The Faithful that believe the DNA of their grandfathers are still on those rifles along with the dirt from Bastogne, Iwo Jima and Chosin. Funny thing is after that film aired their faith was shaken but words of their spiritual leader restored their faith and the memory of that horrible film was erased from their memories. So it is written....
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

so it is said...

LOL I have never cared about the D's. I'd own one if it was priced right but a CMP rebuild is not worth the asking price.

I'd rather have a Timmah built D or C any day!
    Photobucket

"Opinions are like a$$holes. Everybody has one and everyone else's stinks."

Cal30M1 , Garbageman Supreme

Another non-555 barrel has surfaced in the original thread @ CMP

Rlling Thunder claims to have seen one at the Springfield museum

Drama continues

Could it possibly be that these are rare genuine M1D barrels? If so why wouldn't the all knowing all seeing infallible CMP overloads have caught this and put it up on the auction?

Quote Originally Posted by sandsnow View Post
    Another non-555 barrel has surfaced in the original thread @ CMP

Rlling Thunder claims to have seen one at the Springfield museum

Drama continues

Could it possibly be that these are rare genuine M1D barrels? If so why wouldn't the all knowing all seeing infallible CMP overloads have caught this and put it up on the auction?

Don't know, but if rolling blunder tells me to go left, you can bet your butt I am going to go right. he's off his rocker.