Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Please help;What to engrave on left side of 1911 build?

OK guys there is good news and bad news. I guess with all first time builds there can be a hitch in the get a long. Good news; the pistol loads, extracts and ejects as it should. Bad News; It fired correctly for the first three rounds then I pulled the trigger but the hammer didn't drop. I found by lifting the hammer it would release and shoot. Back to the bench to find the hooks on the hammer were catching the sear. I need to shape the sear but don't have a jig and without a jig its like dancing in the dark. So I ordered a pre fitted sear/disconnector/hammer from Nowlin which should drop in and solve the problem. I'll get a sear jig if I do another build as I would to learn the craft. The parts shipped from Midway last night so I should be back at the range this weekend, then maybe you'll see the pictures.
    Bill
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So how much do you have in this little gem now?
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

LP as I've said in the past I didn't do this build to save $$$$, which is a good thing. At some point I'll figure out the total and post it, I've kept all the receipts. I met with the Jeff Flanery today who is going to engrave the slide, slide stop and thumb safety. Jeff lives close by and is a regular fixture at the big gun shows like Louisville. Here is Jeff's web site: http://www.flannerygunengraving.com/
    It will be about six weeks at Jeff's for engraving and then it's back to Wilson Combat for Armor Tuff finish and a little gun smith work. I'm having the barrel flush cut and the bore countersunk and the slide stop countersunk. Quoted time is 12 weeks at Wilson's. None of these places are aware of our Timmy's in the door on Monday and out of the door on Saturday in the same week. The final engraving will be: Right side of the slide will have ~1911-2011~ the left side of the slide will have ~An American Heritage~. I'll keep you guys advised as this progresses and now it's off to build number 2?
    Bill
    Last edited by paid4c4; 01-27-2012 at 11:24 PM.
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

Sounds good Bill.
    LP
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Patriot
    Saw the perfect slogan for the 1911, 'victory love's preperation'
    I erased my signature and don't know why.

Cadet
    You could contact Turnbull and see about having him roll "engrave" one of the old original slide engravings. He has many of the original back in the day roll stamps.