Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear muffs while shooting rifle (Garand) What do you use?

Ear muffs while shooting rifle (Garand) What do you use?

OK guys, tell me what you use for ear muffs while shooting rifles, Garand's. If you can post pics or links to what you use that would be great.

I've been a long time Bullseye Pistols shooter, I have five sets of over the head type muffs which work great for pistol. But I find the ear cover on the muffs hits the stock when I wear them shooting rifle. I also have a cheap pair of behind the head band type muffs, these have slimmer and thinner ear cups but even with those they hit the stock of the rifle. What do you guys do to solve this problem?

When shooting Bullseye I always use the foam ear plugs with the muffs over the top, most of my matches are shot indoors so you really need the extra protection during timed and rapid fire when there are 10 to 12 1911 45's blasting away on the range. I ruined my ears long ago, the ringing never stops. No not from shooting but from 25 years of twisting wrenches, the air tools we use are much louder then you think and it took it's toll on me. I want to save what I have, it's already hard to understand all the words someone says in a crowed place, I don't want to loose anymore hearing.

Thanks Guys!

Wilson
    Guy Wilson

Only $14.00 for a FULL year Membership --> http://www.m1collectorsclub.com/

Please support the M1 for Vets Program --> http://www.m1forvets.com/

I just use the same ear muffs I've had since I worked in an iron foundry in 1984. They're green, does that help? Oh, they have a fabric strap over the head and plastic band that goes behind the head. I'm switching to plugs though because my shooting glasses allow too much noise in where the glasses go to my ears.

I had the same problem when shooting trap, the head strap always banged against the stock. I had a set of ear plugs custom made last year at CMP during the National's in August. The ear plugs totally blocks out the harmful noise levels. I think the cost was 30 dollars and well worth it.
    Bill

Be glad this aint the war room!

I use muffs but have wanted to use the noise cancelling plugs.

I have crooked ear canals so plugs are uncomfortable but the muffs are hot, uncomfortable AND get in the way.
    Photobucket

"Opinions are like a$$holes. Everybody has one and everyone else's stinks."

Cal30M1 , Garbageman Supreme

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I use Old Muffs that My Dad gave Me from His Oil Refinery days....If by chance the Girls have taken them out of My Pickup then I use Empty .45 ACP cases
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Low profile shotgun muffs had since the late 1980's .
    If shooting big iron I will double up with foam plugs. My hearing is trashed I have to try and protect what I have left. Constant ringing in both ears and its getting worse every year
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

I just use regular old ear muffs, plastic Remingtons. They seem to work fine, but I've got a rather large cranium.
    NRA Life Member
    ISRA Member
    M1CC Member #144
    Certified FFII

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

I use these and they work really well. They are low profile and do not get in my way.

http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-pl-...5h67fb-01.html

I use Peltor's also.Since I'm already hard of hearing in the left ear.I like the amplified muffs.
    Cabella's sells them for like $69.00
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

I use the little orange colored foam ear plugs. They actually have a greater DBR than a lot of muffs and they don't get in the way of my D.I. hat brim either. Hat brims and muffs just don't mix.
    Jon