Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ear muffs while shooting rifle (Garand) What do you use?

Patriot
    I use what ever cheap ear plugs I find. I've tried muffs but for some reason they distract me when swinging a shotgun. It wasn't until I was an adult out of college that I hunted with any body that used hearing protection. Growing up in the 60's down in South Texas, no one seemed to be aware of eye or ear protection. And yes, there is now a constant ringing sound in my ears.

I use ordinary ear plugs too. I not only use them for shooting, I use them when I'm using the lawn mower, weed eater, snow blower, etc.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

Junior Cadet
    Got a set of Surefire EarPro plugs coming. My son is on active duty in the Army, and is getting me a set. They are issuing them. They allow "normal" hearing until a round is fired. Note the extended plug hanging on them, which can be pushed in at anytime in order to muffle noise constantly. I'll let you know how good they are when they get here. Using some old Winchester plastic muffs right now. Here is the link for the EarPro's. http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

I've been using the cheap foam plugs at the range since I went to boot camp. On the flightline, we use muffs. I get annual hearing tests because of working on aircraft and my hearing is the same or better 15 years later.

Use what you can afford, but remember that hearing damage starts to occur at a decibel level around 110 or so. Even the cheap foam ear plugs provide enough protection to reduce that noise to an acceptable level.

Now if you're standing next to a harrier taking off, the level can be greater than 160 decibels. Then you need plugs and muffs, but you're still only reducing the noise 40 decibels or so.

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by loboft View Post
    Got a set of Surefire EarPro plugs coming. My son is on active duty in the Army, and is getting me a set. They are issuing them. They allow "normal" hearing until a round is fired. Note the extended plug hanging on them, which can be pushed in at anytime in order to muffle noise constantly. I'll let you know how good they are when they get here. Using some old Winchester plastic muffs right now. Here is the link for the EarPro's. http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

I would be interested in how comfortable they are in occasional sporting/hunting use. Also, the site says they are good for up to six months. What would cause them to go bad with proper care? reh

Quote Originally Posted by loboft View Post

I can't wait to hear about these things. Very cool for you to let us in on this. The 6 month thing kind of baffles me.

I use the electronic ones made by Peltor. Think they are the Peltor Tatical. Love that you can hear range commands and other conversations.
    M1 COLLECTORS CLUB
    WWW.M1COLLECTORSCLUB.COM
    JOIN US TODAY!

Visit the club on our new YouTube page!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/M1CCGunner

Visit our Facebook page for info and pics of the CMP, Garands etc..

“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security” Ben Franklin