Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: garand shoots high

Okay, there's another thing that no one has mentioned and I'm currently trying to figure out who this happened to. About two years ago someone from the old BT sent a rifle back to the CMP because it shot left or right or up or down or something. Turns out, either the threads in the receiver were not cut true or the receiver face was really really off. These things will make your rifle shoot high my friend. I have a post in the Garand forum trying to figure out who had that rifle.

That can drive you nuts Tim. About three years ago guy brought one in that matter what he did, it shot to the right. Poor guy tried three different barrels. I looked at it and tried different stuff for three weeks, couldn't figure it out. I was ready to give up and picked up the receiver to put it back together and give it back when I noticed the shoulder face looked odd. Chucked it upright in a vise and leveled off the Op-Rod track and then laid my dial-protractor across the face. Read five-degrees uphill to the left! Straightened it out with a #2 Swissfile and checked it for eight different angles. Put it back together and it was dead-on. Couldn't do that again if I tried! Guy was tickled to death.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    NRA,GCA,OGCA, USAF,Msgt.Ret.

Mr. Waits, that's what I'm talking about right there. I am a little shocked that only 5 degrees on the face could screw up the POI but I don't have the experience with this problem to know any better. Seems like normal barrel draw would simply bend/fold the barrel shoulder to straight with the threads. Now, if the threads were off, I can really see that mattering. Like I said though, not doubting you one bit, just surprised that 5 degrees can make such a difference on such soft metal.

Not to get to far off subject but have you ever run across barrels that the inner chamfer on the muzzle was off?
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

All the time Orlando, and I haven't noticed them shooting to bad. About every military barrel I see is off some, doesn't seem to be earth shattering for accuracy decent accuracy.

Vermont Gage makes 12" pin gages. Not expensive either.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Here's a thought for you. Maybe the M14 guys go for that no draw/loctite deal so the face of the receiver is minimized in the equation?
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Could you forward me the link in email Stu, I'd go for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Shelleen View Post
    Here's a thought for you. Maybe the M14 guys go for that no draw/loctite deal so the face of the receiver is minimized in the equation?
    Perhaps so sir.

With the rear all the way to the left, it was still shooting about eight inches right. Took about 45 minutes with the file to get it squared( Don't have a lathe). That five-degrees translated to almost 1/8th inch high. For soft steel that receiver was a real Bitch-kitty to file down. I would take a couple strokes and check,take a couple strokes and check. Probably would have taken about three minutes with a lathe and a dial-indicator.

Only time I've ever ran into this, still trying to figure how it got by SAs QC. I mean, if I could catch it with a MkI eyeball, they should have caught it at the Arsenal. What I'm silently dreading is threads that aren't cut square. Haven't seen one yet but I've heard the horror-stories.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    NRA,GCA,OGCA, USAF,Msgt.Ret.