25 35.21%
  • No Surprises When I Opened The Box

29 40.85%
  • Disappointed But Met Grade

15 21.13%
  • I Would Rather Have Received A Box Of Rocks

2 2.82%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Was Hosed By The CMP Big Time!

I Was Hosed By The CMP Big Time!

Well, not really. I only bought 2 rifles from them. One was a nice 5.8 and the other was my infamous WRA. I think it was Canes that described his 3 CMP purchases as looking like Orest took some high fiber dumps in the boxes and shipped them off still warm. I'm not looking to bash the CMP. Just curious about what average purchases are like.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I've had great luck wit CMP"luck O' the draw.My bayonets were great,and barreled Receivers described as "bad"all had great barrels.My 1917 was way better than described.I have never ordered a complete M1 though.
    hugs,
    Ryan
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Most of my purchases I handpicked at the NS but probably mail ordered 8-10 rifles and all were as described with the exception of the Service WRA I ordered last year.
    Only rifle I didnt feel meet the description and I sent it back
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    Most of my purchases I handpicked at the NS but probably mail ordered 8-10 rifles and all were as described with the exception of the Service WRA I ordered last year.
    Only rifle I didnt feel meet the description and I sent it back
    And you got Checkmates RRAD. Sweet rifle. I still regret not buying that one.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

I picked out most of my rifles from the NS or SS. I got 4 rifles from mail order and they all met the descriptions. However, out of the four, I would have personally selected only one of them if I had to pick them out at the store.
    Last edited by jak; 11-05-2011 at 05:26 PM.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

I think living near the store is key.

Regarding the handful of rifles I actually bought, direct from the CMP? I have never gotten a drop dead, nice rifle from the CMP. All other rifles have been purchased on forums 2nd hand or privately from those that got way nicer examples.

I have my HRA (which came with a ugly sonic cleaned USGI stock), sold my first HRA (Black greek park and birch stock, total yuck.), and I have my WRA...which was a nice WW2 era rifle. The rifles all met the criteria spelled out on the sales page, so nothing to complain about there. Aesthetically they needed some help.

As received from CMP all Service Grades:

WRA

HRA (sold)

HRA (Kept but in much better stock now)

Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 11-05-2011 at 05:21 PM.

My 5.8 was a mailorder. The rifle was essentially correct, needed a triggergroup of which The Garand Guy swapped one out for me, making the rifle 100%. Living 20 minutes from Tony is almost as good as living near the North or South Store. Metal and furniture are very nice. My SG WRA was a loser. A NOS barrel that was never finished reamed-wouldn't chamber a round. That didn't bother me but the heel stamp was almost unreadable and the furniture was new birch. Overall a piece of crap. The replacement they sent also had a NOS barrel but the furniture was very nice GI and the receiver is very nice.
    It seems by the responses so far decent rifles are the rule rather than the exception.

I purchased 3 SG HRA's from the NS last year. I don't have a ton of experience, but they were some of the nicest rifles I've ever seen. When we were there, the whole rack was full of the same quality of garands.

My dad and my brother got the ones with the HRA stocks, which turned out gorgeous after some cleaning and I got a SA stock that was the same. The park and finish was basically like a new rifle. Only mine had some wear on the bayonet lug.

All 3 of them had SA bolts, but original HRA barrels that were ME 1+ and TE 1. They shoot and function well.

I have 2 WW2 bayonets, original 10 inchers, one a UFH and one an AFH. They show wear, but overall fit the description. The 16" SA bayonet that just showed up has the black finish and serial numbers stamped into it, but otherwise looks unsharpened and serviceable.

I think sometimes people place unrealistic expectations on what they're ordering. Sure, sometimes a guy gets some super random rifle in the mail and posts pictures and everyone tells him how amazing it is and what the history is, etc. But then, every person who orders through the mail thinks they're going to be that guy and when they aren't, they get all huffy and want to send their stuff back because it's not "good enough". They invent reasons they think the company owes them a better product.

I don't believe in your guys' case that it was like that, because you got actual rifles that did not meet the criteria and/or functioned poorly. But there are certainly a lot of whiney bitches out there that think they should get a mercedes for a yugo price.
    Josh
    M1CC #628
    GySgt/USMC
    6116/0931

I'll never mail order form the CMP again if I can help it. 3 squishy Cleveland steamers in a row....no thanks.

I'll try to reserve my rifle purchases to store visits.
    !

Patriot
    I have one hand pick from the north store and it took Dad a few hours to find it, 3.2 mil GAW stock and original barrel and pretty nice all around. Magna picked out a nice one for me also HRA with mostly correct parts. The rest were mail order and some fantastic rifles at that. WRAs with WWII barrels , SAs HRAs and IHCs even an IHC//SA.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Just two of many , the lower is a HRA just swapped the trigger group and its correct.
    I had a few that were only ok and was able to sell them with out losing any money.
    Last edited by checkmate19; 11-05-2011 at 07:17 PM.