25 35.21%
  • No Surprises When I Opened The Box

29 40.85%
  • Disappointed But Met Grade

15 21.13%
  • I Would Rather Have Received A Box Of Rocks

2 2.82%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I Was Hosed By The CMP Big Time!

Patriot
    The HRA SG I picked out at the NS was nice, the SA SG I bought mail order looked like hell but met grade. It had a lot of finish missing (none on the Gas Cylinder), the stock was sound but beat (but appeared refinished at one point), Buttplate was rusty, ect. The barrel met grade which I think is what they really look at.

I refinished the stock, reparked the buttplate, had Tony G reblue the gas cylinder, and sold it for a VERY modest profit, just to move on from her.

Justin

Took a gamble recently on a mail order field grade D and it showed up with service grade metal, new CMP stock and near perfect finish. I suspect the only thing that made it FG was the barrel which was marked 4 for both the throat and muzzle.

I had a really nice field grade D come in my shop about a week or so ago. Same as yours stratochief, great metal, slightly not great barrel. The rifle was a really nice specimen though.

Founding Member
    They are getting a Nice price for them now...I have to wonder just how many more 'snipers' are stashed and what grade are they? ? Cmp recently said the regular service grades and field grades rifles was essentially sold like they came out of the crates??

I've purchased several rifles from them including a few 1903s and M1 Carbines for the short time they had them available. None were special. All were well used. All functioned well with one exception.

I received a Rock Island 1903 that had a shot-out barrel and a crack in the bolt lugs.

I sent the rifle to their gunsmithing department and had them complete a long list of work that included replacing the bolt, re-barreling, and restocking. I am very pleased with what I got back from that.
    Last edited by Grenadier; 06-12-2017 at 07:59 PM.