25 35.21%
  • No Surprises When I Opened The Box

29 40.85%
  • Disappointed But Met Grade

15 21.13%
  • I Would Rather Have Received A Box Of Rocks

2 2.82%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Was Hosed By The CMP Big Time!

Patriot
    Hey looky here Orlando!
    Photobucket

SG from 05

Nice, I hope someday to be able to find the SA # 1382174 sister to my WRA

Another one of my favorite Garands is a USGI Field Grade that I mail ordered years ago from CMP. They used to have rifles that were never loaned to other countries and this is one of them.
    Field Grades today arent what they were years ago
    A Springfield Tooele Arsenal rebuild, correct barrel

Last edited by Orlando; 11-05-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Mail order SA Correct

Mail order Underwood Carbine

"I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

All my mail orders have been just as described, in my opinion. I am quite sure that others would have returned some of my field grades with broken, ugly, yucky stocks and all but I expected that. I just want functioning rifles and, for the most part, they were. Only function issues I've had is about 10% have had broken elevation drums, 10% with broken oprod springs, and 40% with loose rear sights.

Founding Member
    I have only mail ordered 3 rifles, the others I picked up visiting the ss. All were within the sg description but I sold the worst of the 3 because the muzzle measured slightly over 2.

I picked out RG in the store that had essentially a new barrel (turns out it was bent). After sending it back I was told that the receiver was just about out of spec. Only recourse was to have a mail order RG or a refund. I chose the latter. I was hoping for a little better cs... not a brand new rifle. I had taken the trouble to drive to Annistion for the sole intent of buying a couple of rifles. I found a great racker and ended up only being offered what was next in the luck'o pipeline. I understand that it was only a racker but they could have grabbed another racker off the wall, spun a good barrel on the receiver, slapped the original stock set on and shipped the thing out.

After seeing the store inventory of RG and FG I would never mail order. Hand selection is a must!

On the bright side my first was a FG that Leon picked out. 3.5 SA w original 2-45 barrel, and great trigger. I didn't know it at the time but the rear sight had sight black all over it. I'm thinking it was used in matches because of the trigger and sight black. Muzzle gauged a 1.5, and the throat a 5.

One CMP mailorder, one of the First release M1Ds. Met all specs but was not a looker.
    Stock loaded with cosmo
    Sprung sight cover
    gas cylinder was silver and rattled like a castanet
    bore was dark and loaded with copper
    almost silver buttplate
    nicked crown

but it turns out to be a fair shooter. So far in shooting it, if I was a sniper, I could get kills out to 300 yds.

WHERE GOOD PEOPLE HAVE GUNS, EVIL DARES NOT TREAD. Mark Muller

No super above average items like a few brag about, just items that fit the description - no disappointments.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

Patriot
    No complaints with the four mail order rifles I have purchased. When tearing apart and cleaning the 22 caliber shortly after it arrived, I notice a hairline crack in the stock near the bolt. I asked customer service if this was something to expect. If it was, my plan was fix it and move on. They responded that no, it should not have gone out and asked that I mail it back for a replacemenet stock. All none rifle purchases (ammo, bayos etc) have arrived as described by cmp. To parrot many others on the cmp forum, I have no complaints with their customer service.

Junior Cadet
    Howdy everyone, been a while and had to be re-registered. No war room for me till I get 5 posts. lol. Most of the mail order rifles have been good. Except for the one carbine with a cracked stock. Take care Spin

Junior Cadet
    I have 3 rifles from CMP:

A Service Grade SA 5.8 range. Muzzle wear was .5 and it was all correct as far as I could tell. VERY surprised and Pleased.

Two SA Service Grade Specials 5.4 range, muzzle wear was .25 or less. The metal looked to have no wear (It does now!)

I did not buy for collecting but to have M1's to shoot and enjoy for many years to come. My nephew, son and I shoot them quite a lot. The open sights are fun to shoot at 100 and 200 yds. They could not believe how good they could do with the peeps and a big black bullseye to shoot at! My eyes being of poor quality has driven me to put the Ultimak scope base and mount a 2x7 Burris pistol scope.

Last edited by Hamour; 04-11-2012 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Forgot "N" in mount