25 35.21%
  • No Surprises When I Opened The Box

29 40.85%
  • Disappointed But Met Grade

15 21.13%
  • I Would Rather Have Received A Box Of Rocks

2 2.82%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Was Hosed By The CMP Big Time!

Of about 18 Garands that were mail ordered over the years a couple have gone back. The most recent did not meet barrel criteria and the other was a CG that had solder on the heal, sight and op rod, opinion could go either way on that one. I also sent back a Carbine that did not meet barrel criteria. When they had them listed I received RG’s that had decent salvageable wood, met SG criteria and overall were not unlike some of the SG’s I saw at the NS earlier this year. A trip to either store is definitely the way to go but even my last trip left me disappointed.

Now, outside of a few very nice Post War rifles I have never received anything exciting, never an original WWII bbl, no lockbars, not one WWII stock with a visible cartouche, or any other notable parts to speak of.

It is what it is but it’s not what it was.
    "Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"

Patriot
    My only 2 M1 rifles and 3 of my carbines are hand picked from the stores. The other 3 carbines were mail order and I was not disappointed in them. They did look a little ugly out of the box, but I expected that and after doing the clean up on them I was quite happy.

Other than the speacials,Which were nice.
    ALL others just meet grade.Sent a few down the road pronto.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by LEAD POISON View Post
    Other than the speacials,Which were nice.
    ALL others just meet grade.Sent a few down the road pronto.
    The SG I ordered was a correct grade as far as I could tell, when my nephew ordered one, it was just in grade (SG). Since a personal trip to the south store would cost more in time and money than the difference between a SG or a SG Special, I ordered the two SA SG Special and was more than happy. I recomend that people pick up an HRA or SA service grade special before they are gone. My two looked new. No risk on he SG specials.

Hank

The CMP got one chance to f__k me---------and they did-----in spades. Last year I ordered an HRA SG and asked for USGI wood. When it came I wanted to cry---or send it back. The metal had a slight "been there--done that" look to it which I actually prefer but it had that crappy, not fit to be on anybody's rifle pumpkin wood. Even Maynard is showing his disdain for it as well and Ashley has turned her back to it. So it cost me an extra $200 to dress it properly. So much for the "cheap" rifles from the cmp. Other than that, it was fine. I'll never order from the cmp ever again and a trip to either store is out of the question--I'm 2500 miles from either one.
    Just my rant for the day.
    Jon
    Here it is as received:

How should've looked and now does:
    Last edited by musketjon; 04-14-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
    The CMP got one chance to f__k me---------and they did-----in spades. Last year I ordered an HRA SG and asked for USGI wood. When it came I wanted to cry---or send it back. The metal had a slight "been there--done that" look to it which I actually prefer but it had that crappy, not fit to be on anybody's rifle pumpkin wood. Even Maynard is showing his disdain for it as well and Ashley has turned her back to it. So it cost me an extra $200 to dress it properly. So much for the "cheap" rifles from the cmp. Other than that, it was fine. I'll never order from the cmp ever again and a trip to either store is out of the question--I'm 2500 miles from either one.
    Just my rant for the day.
    Jon
    Here it is as received:

So, would that have been a "disappointed but met grade"?

[So, would that have been a "disappointed but met grade"? ]

The short answer:
    Yes. But a MAJOR disappointment.
    Jon

Patriot
    between garands carbines 03's and 22s probably about 30 rifles since 03 only one i complained about was the SA 03 it looked beyond hope, but after countless hours of work it is a pretty nice rifle
    I erased my signature and don't know why.

I've only ordered 5 through CMP, all met grade description! The one I had issue with was a S.A. Service grade. Canes7 probably remembers, The thing shot 14" high at 100 yds! I sought the forum for answers / solutions, Canes7 offered several suggestions, which I tried. None worked. Finally I called CMP they said return it and we'll see whats going on. Long story short they said receiver face was damaged and barrel wasn't true. Thus they replaced rifle no question. So I have no complaints with what I've received from them! My only problem has been with some of the "Garand Gods" on their forum! That's why I'm here and haven't visted or posted over there in 2 + years!
    Have you ever heard anyone complain about having ammo left over after a gunfight?"

I have been buying M1's from the CMP for many years, and have examined many bought by friends. Othere than minor pitting, and bummer wood, they were fine. I may have had to change out some parts to make them correct, but they came out nice in the end.
    If anyone is dissatisfied, and returns the M1 to the CMP, they will replace it.
    The Garand Guy
    garandguy.com