Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1A1 Repair Help

Senior Member captain_bob_badfish's Avatar

M1A1 Repair Help

I recently got an original 1st run M1A1 stock in trade but it had a crack in the right side of the stock near the magwell that the seller didn't notice before sending it.

Is there anyone around here that knows of a qualified repair person that might be able to fix said crack and what would be an approx. price for said repairs? I haven't heard back from the original owner so I'm not sure how he wants to handle it. Just looking for options. I am just sick to my stomach over this.

First two photos he supplied.

Crack is very faint

When placed in the action with the barrel band tightened it became very apparent.

Perhaps contact Rick Borecky? He may even be willing to expedite such an order for a fellow BT brethern? Rick, could you help a brother out? I think it would be darn cool to see what you can do with such a drastic break. I look at that break and don't see much hope except for a simple end to end gluing with tite bond. Maybe a pin going in from the top as well?

Edit, the break looks like one caused in shipping.

It's really a shame he didn't insure it.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_bob_badfish View Post
    It's really a shame he didn't insure it.

Rookie mistake man. I insure everything that goes out of here. You never need that insurance until you need that insurance.

I call shenanigans - looks like the crack was already there. Take a closer look at the photo that the seller provided. Of course, I could be wrong. Was the shipping box damaged?

I would look into the crack for evidence of stain, finish or signs of a previous attempted repair. I have had great success using thin viscosity CA glue (super glue), but have never had to attempt a repair on a crack across the stock like that one.
    Last edited by melloman; 11-13-2011 at 08:18 PM.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

Quote Originally Posted by melloman View Post
    I call shenanigans - looks like the crack was already there. Take a closer look at the photo that the seller provided. Of course, I could be wrong. Was the shipping box damaged?

I would look into the crack for evidence of stain, finish or signs of a previous attempted repair. I have had great success using thin viscosity CA glue (super glue), but have never had to attempt a repair on a crack across the stock like that one.

I think though that the seller only provided the first two photo's melloman. The other photos, I think, are ones the OP took.

Precisely. Look really closely at the second photo showing the right side of the stock...
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

I don't know, I have too much belief in people to think the guy would have scammed from the get go. Either way, he should have insured it.

I really don't think he was trying to scam me. If he was good at scamming I think he would have at least insured the stock.

I just got off the phone with the seller. It's going back to him tomorrow. Seriously bummed out. I've been waiting for the right one for nearly 15 years. Looks like I'll just have to wait longer.