Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-CMP SC1903A3 from todays gunshow....

Non-CMP SC1903A3 from todays gunshow....

I've always needed an 03A3 to fill a gap in my collection. I figured a SC would be just the thing. I really didn't take too much interest in the CMP's offerings recently because of the VFW returns were release a couple years ago. I needed some powder and primers too so off to the gunshow I go. I didn't know much about 03A3's but felt I'd know enough when the time came.

Details:

SN - 4,728,902
    Barrel - SC 6-43, 4 groove, muzzle is just less than 0, OK crown and bore is mint
    Headspaces perfect.
    Bolt - Seems to be all SC from what I've read. One inconsistancy is that it has a 1 and an X stamped in the handle. I read that the 1 is early and the X means late. Maybe I've got a mid-production?
    Stock is in very good condition. I am not sure if it's an SC or Remington, it has a Remington buttplate. FJA, ord. wheel, flaming bomb on the tip and a rebuild stamp.
    Trigger is creepy and rather crappy feeling. I'll take care of that as I think this is going to be a great shooting rifle.

Pics:

!

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I would say"nice Rifle",or "congrats Bro",but it doesn't have a certificate,so it is junk
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Humperdink View Post
    I would say"nice Rifle",or "congrats Bro",but it doesn't have a certificate,so it is junk
    Shit. Where are those "CMP Certified" guys at so I can get my rifle certified?
    !

Founding Member
    I bought a S.C several years ago. beautiful weapon. Hangs on the wall in my gun safe. peace toolman

What size is the circle "P" proof mark ? Remington is 7/16" , Smith Corona is 1/2". Check the cutout on the right side where the barrel band spring is located. If the front of the cutout is square, it's Remington, if it's round, it's S/C.
    The barrel should be correct for your s/n range. The pins in the stock were used in early production rifles and later changed to the stock bolts.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

Very nice rifle. I have a Remington. Has more recoil than my Garand though. I need to take breaks when shooting it at the range to give my shoulder a rest.
    "Are you my pal, Danny?"

Nice looking SC 03a3.

Founding Member
    I always thought the FJA out of a box was rebuild period. Could someone have replaced this stock?

Very nice rifle. Rick B
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    I always thought the FJA out of a box was rebuild period. Could someone have replaced this stock?

Very nice rifle. Rick B
    That makes perfect sense to me. To add to this there is a P, but it is not in a square or circle, like a rebuild. There is a rebuild stamp on the left side it a boxed "O.something" kinda like an OGEK or whatever but not all there. Then there is the ord. wheel? Did rebuilds get stamped with that? I wondering if maybe someone added a stamp or two to a rebuild stock. I'm not too concerned about it. It would be cool to have an all original SC, but this one is more about filling a hole in the collection and having a bolt gun for vintage matches than a correct collector rifle.
    !

Check the lightening hole under the buttplate. If it's not drilled out, it's a S/C. Are there any inspector stamps in front of the trigger guard ?
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112