Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a Walther P1 ?

Anyone have a Walther P1 ?

Just got a e-mail from Wideners about a sale on Walther P1's
    Anybody have one?
    http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=700|1012|1027
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Patriot
    Orlando
    If you get one make sure it has that pin in the frame. This was done because the frames supposedly cracked at the area of the feed ramp. I have one and at the time all the ones on sale with the pin had an issue with pitting in the barrels. As I reload I try to keep the pressures down on my P1. These guns show very little wear so you have to wonder what the police used to practice with.

Patriot
    Forgot to mention SARCO has the WW2 steel frame for $100.00. I might just order one and keep it handy in case I do screw up the frame on my P1 not sure if ALL parts inter change but worth a try. Just a thought.
    Mix
    Last edited by mixmaster; 04-30-2011 at 11:42 PM.

I doubt I will get one, had to fill my gas tank, just wondered what everyone thought of them
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

I have the P-1 and it shoots fine. Smooth action and pretty accurate. I used cheap steel case and it still didn't miss a beat.
    "No man who is not willing to bear arms and to fight for his rights can give a good reason why he should be entitled to the privilege of living in a free community." -- Theodore Roosevelt

I had a P1 a while back and i liked it pretty well, like everything else i ended up trading it off.
    Some pretty good prices on that site.
    I think the reason they added the pin in the frame was there was an overflow of smg ammo around and it being hotter than the standard 9mm load it started cracking frames. The P38/P1 is a very rugged combat pistol.

lots of info here

www.p38forum.com
    Last edited by Crazy Horse; 05-01-2011 at 07:09 AM.

I have a P-38 made in '44 that is one smooth shooting pistol. The cheap, postwar P-1 mags work in it perfectly. I don't think there is 100% parts compatability between the two, but most of the major assemblies should.
    When I bought my P-38, I had been looking for a decent P-1 to use for reenactments, but I stumbled into a great deal for a real P-38 for more or less what a P-1 was selling for.
    Some people are like slinkies.
    They aren't good for much, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I find my P1 to be a good shooting, reliable pistol. In addition to the reinforcing bolt in the frame, I think the slide is thicker than the P38. It may be just my pistol, but the DA trigger seems better than the post war P38 (own one). The P1 barrel has a steel sleeve. Peter Kokalis wrote an article for Shotgun News about the P1 that was pretty tough on the pistol. He said the pistol was designed for a limited (cheap military pistol) service life, maybe 5,000 rounds. P38/P1 are not supposed to feed hollow points. Mine is reliable with 147 grain JHP.

Patriot
    The P1 I now have is not the first. I have never had an issue with ammo, hollow point or what ever,but I did crack a pivot in a Luger and found out the ammo was Canadian and was for Sten MGs only.So I have never taken a chance on using it in a hand gun. Well maybe I will try it in a Ruger 9mm as I don't real care for the size of the thing. Over built for a 9mm I think.
    Mix

My P1 was great. Easy to point and shoot and accurate as all get out. It fed everything I gave it. Traded it off to a buddy. I have several WWII P38s and feel the same about them.
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10