Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: barrel length?

Patriot
    That is a large hog.It would take about four white tails to equal that weight. Not saying south Texas deer are small but it appears that Gatesville has some HOGS!
    Mix

War Room Ready
    we have quite a few. I have never seen one as big as they killed, and I don't think I want to.

VitSports6
    I'm not an AR expert, But, Have you considered different twist rates, I have a couple AR one is a 1/8 TR and the other is a 1/7 TR.
    Having a 1/7 TR you can use heavier bullets, It may or may not be beneficial when hunting hogs.

Quote Originally Posted by someinternetsite
    1 in 12", or 1 in 14. Are a slower twist rate. in 12s are good for 35-55 grain, 1 in 14s are good for 35-50 grains, and perhaps up to 55.

1 in 9, or 1 in 10. Versatile; do-it-all. Will work best with leads in the 45-75 grain weights. Ideal for the 55-62 grains you will probably be shooting.

1 in 7 1 in 7 will shoot the heavy leads best up 90 grain, but this is too fast for the lighter leads and will spin them too much.
    Just a thought.

Patriot
    My Match barrel is 1 in 9 and I have another 1in14. As I am not looking for match accuracy anymore I leave the 1 in 9 on. At the ranges I am shooting (less than 100 yds) it has worked out just fine with all bullet weight and I use a lot of mil spec ammo anyway. I have not reloaded for these barrels yet but I suppose the day is coming when I will have too.Saving my brass for that day! It is a pain to ream the mil primer pockets out.
    Mix

War Room Ready
    I had to get an rcbs swagging tool, makes the primer pockets alot faster. I have decided to go with the 16 inch barrel, and let the kids use it for killing hogs.