Thread: Carbine Williams' Workshop Visit

Founding Member

Carbine Williams' Workshop Visit

Took a trip to the NC History Museum today. Had a good exhibit on military arms (nothing close to the Smithsonian but ok).

They imported Carbine Williams' workshop and have the rifles he built while in prision.

Interestingly there was a Garand and Carbine that did not have markings on the receiver. Normally, I would chalk it up to a non-firing display/dummy but the Garand had the following Winchester parts: flush nut rear sight, op rod, numbered gas cylinder, and bolt. It also had early milled rear clip latch and stock ferrule. No pictures.

Why make a display using some REALLY expensive parts?

They had ~8 Garands in various exhibits, 3 Carbines (1 paratrooper), 1 BAR, 1 1928 Thompson, 1 Type 99 MG, 1 Arisaka, 1 MG-08 Maxim, and many pre 1865 muskets & rifled muskets. Also quite a few weapons from Vietnam, both US and VC.

Hey I saw that too the last time we were there. If some one can tell me how to post pictures from my phone ill put them up.

Founding Member
    I've always used photobucket.

LavaTech
    Quote Originally Posted by LCPL Hanky View Post
    Hey I saw that too the last time we were there. If some one can tell me how to post pictures from my phone ill put them up.
    Since I'd like to see those pics too...... try this. I'm guessing you use a desktop or laptop computer (usually) to browse/post here, and I'll assume you have a wireless hotspot or router that the computer and phone share. Install chrome on the computer and install Airdroid on the phone (free). In chrome go to http://web.airdroid.com/ and launch Airdroid on the phone. Use the camera button on the Airdroid screen and scan the QR code on the computer screen. Presto! You can now manage your phone photos and such from the computer. Upload photos to photobucket (or similar photohost) after phone/computer transfer and you're all done except for the update to this (or new) thread.

Of course the other option is to use a usb cable for transfer to the computer (and then to photobucket). I'll wait patiently for the pics (really)!

Patriot
    When I was at the Airborne museum in Fayetteville, NC, I saw quite a few mil surp guns. All were inoperable, of course, and made up of real parts mixed with prop parts. Probably a common practice in the museums and they probably just use whatever parts they can obtain, regardless of collector value.

Here's a tester
    Attached Images Attached Images

There were no markings on the reciever heel on either the Garand or the carbine and I believe the trigger guard was numbered WRA. Bolt is positive WRA.
    Last edited by LCPL Hanky; 02-16-2013 at 01:20 AM.

Carbine stock, this was a differen display but I needed to add something carbine related to this thread.