Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lever Guns??

Lever Guns??

I was in my local gun shop today. I spot a lever action rifle in the racks that wasn't there a few days ago. It's a Marlin 1894 .44 mag rifle, made in 1971, no safety, and a brass saddle ring. I asked the owner how much he wanted - $300 OTD. Well, I couldn't get that little rifle out of my head, so I went back and bought it. I got him to throw in a box of ammo and some disks for my Knight muzzle loader.

Do any of you have experience with Marlin lever guns? How about ones that shoot pistol cartridges?

Thanks in advance.
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

Lever actions don't have safeties you half cock them. (pull the hammer back slowly and you should hear it click) I own a couple Winchester lever guns and I love them both. I am sure you will be nothing but happy with your purchase. Good luck.

Patriot
    I have two 92 Winchester clones. One in 357 mag and the other in 45 Colt and both are real handy. I have a couple of SAs in the same caliber. The 45 colt I chambered a cylinder in 45 ACP so I can get rid of the ACP ammo that doesn't work in my autos. But the 45 colt is a heck of a hog gun with 255 gr bullets and the 45 SA handles the cartridge just fine. No safeties on these but the new ones will have a safety.Now you NEED a 44 mag revolver to go with the Marlin. One thing leads to another! Happy shooting.
    Mix

The later marlin lever guns have safeties and are less desirable. The 44 mag cowboy is a popular gun and is probably worth 4-500. I had a 336 in 35 Rem and loved it. Eric, that was a good deal on that rifle. Stu
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

I've got a '92 Marlin in 32 Long Colt. Great little rifle and zero recoil but I don't shoot it. I've got 10 boxes of factory loads for it but I'm afraid if/when the ammo is gone all I'll have is a finely-machined club. Any one load for 32 Long Colt?
    Jon
    Last edited by musketjon; 12-25-2011 at 07:04 PM.

You can ship that finley machined club right to my local FFL. I'd be glad to roll my own for it.
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

STU I do not owm a lever gun.Not even one.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

[I'd be glad to roll my own for it.]

So would I if I could find:
    1) 32 Long Colt die set, and
    2) 32 caliber heel-base bullets for it.
    If you've got a lead on either I'd like to hear the info.
    Thanks
    Jon

Patriot
    Jon
    Try Lee Precision Inc at 262-673-3075. They may not list the dies but in the past when I needed an odd ball set I called them and they usually had them and 32 colt is just a few thousands off the 32 S&W long. If you have a case fired in your rifle mike it and see how close to the S&W it measures. Both appear to use the same diameter bullet. Colt 310-312 S&W 310-313
    Mix

Lee will make them for cost of the dies plus a $250 set up charge (already asked them). If I buy 10 sets they'll pass on the set up charge. 32 S&W uses a conventional-base bullet. 32 Long Colt uses a heel-base bullet--kinda' like a 22 where the part that inserts into the case is smaller and the od is the same size as the case od.
    Jon