Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finally got to shoot my mini-g

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
    It looks good in the synthetic stock!

How hot did the Ultimak get and how many rounds did it take before it was uncomfortable to touch? Thinking about whether I want to put one on my Mini-G when it gets here or adapt a Springfield Scout mount I have on hand instead (my rifle will have the Beretta gas system so there should be room).

Your rifle shipped today sir.

Your gas lock screw came loose because I didn't tighten the dickens out of it. The Allen head should not have changed adjustment so it should be fine. You'll need a Big @ss Screwdriver to tighten the screw down good and tight. Schuster does not make the screw able to take a 1/4" drive or the cross wrench made by some for the Garand.

Every single scout rail will get hot when run on the Garand. They will get hotter when run on the G. If you are putting through 200 rounds of ammo in short order, that rail will get very very hot.

Finally, who has more Tats, Prince or highanglehell?

Just couldn't handle the red dot so high so I put it at an angle. Not perfect but better than the other way. I just worry about the fast fire hanging out like that. Cranked down the gas plug and opened it up. Turned it in until she was golden. 200 rounds without a hitch after it was adjusted. Also modified a bayonet to fit with a grinder. I really want this set up to work but I may end up with a aimpoint H-1.

me and Mr Schuster

large, non-sparking standard screwdrivers (straight or offset) seem to work well for torquing the plug,
    the copper alloy is softer than the gun parts - makes guns happy

I marked the allen and the plug w/ a dot of paint so I don't get wrapped around the axles when testing different loads. so far, the allen hasn't moved on it's own. someday, I may dremel/notch the parts instead for a more permanent reference. just need to get the parts parked.....

currently, my brass ejects about 4-5 o'clock w/ most loads with the allen set at 270* with respect to 360 on the plug. once in a great while, I may get a FTF. a 90* CW turn so the marks line up at 360 will eject the brass at 0100. when it matters, I will run it at 360. 145-168gr works fine here.

I really want this set up to work but I may end up with a aimpoint H-1.
    how's the Burris working?

The Burris Scout scope is great but I have a lot more experience with red dots. I have the scope mounted so low that the sights kind of get in the way. not bad but enough that I am considering removing them(not thrilled about not having back up irons). Most of effort has been trying to find a solution for my Back up red dot. I think angled is about as good as it will get.

Tim is absolutely right about scout scope mounts getting hot. Since the mount is directly attached to the barrel and is made from a good conductor like aluminum it becomes a large heavy heat sink. I can't imagine a grumpy old retired cop, go figure! Hey Tim another Gman!
    Bill
    Last edited by paid4c4; 12-29-2011 at 05:10 PM.
    Bill

Pappy's Rule #1-The truth is the truth and sometimes it hurts, but you never have to apologize for it.
    Pappy's Rule #2-Politicans like baby diapers should be changed regularly and for the same reason.
    Pappy's Rule #3-Dealing with some people is like wiping your ass with a hula hoop, there's no end to it and there's no part of it that smells good.
    Pappy's Rule #4-When you discover someone has a burr under their saddle the best thing to do is hop right up on the saddle and grind that burr in a little deeper.
    Pappy's Rule #5-The squeaky wheel gets the grease, until it squeaks to long or to loud, then it gets replaced.

Above is a link to a video of me shooting and a painfully slow reload. Not sure if the link works.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post

Finally, who has more Tats, Prince or highanglehell?
    Alas,He does.I only have a few on My legs,and only one arm partially done,I am right handed.I could not do My right arm and I never finished My legs because I got to fat to reach...now I can't do them anymore so I am done.I only have one on My stomach,and none on My Back...I can't even see My weenie tattoo anymore
    Last edited by Prince Humperdink; 12-29-2011 at 04:04 PM.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Humperdink View Post
    I can't even see My weenie tattoo anymore
    Guess it's too late for me to get started tattooing mine then!