Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attn. Reloaders: Powder for 38SPL?

Attn. Reloaders: Powder for 38SPL?

I have three hundred prepped and primed 38spl brass and 300 Hornady 158grn SWC bullets. All I need is powder. Any suggestions or recipies that work for you?

Thanks in advance.
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I've been using Red Dot Powder in My .45 ACP loads for years,and I love it.I did find data for .38 special w/ 148 grain bullet,w/3 grns of red dot.Velocity would be at 806 fps.I know that is not what You asked,but that is the only Powder I use for handgun anymore.....OK,Found 158grnSWC. uses 3.4 grn of red dot.velocity is around 793 fps.
    Ryan
    Last edited by Prince Humperdink; 05-01-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: addded info
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

I like 231 for 38 spl.

Patriot
    Unique and Bullseye are great but I don't know if you are using cast or jacketed bullets. For lead you want to keep the velocity down or you are going to lead up the barrel
    Bullseye start at 2.8 gr for 656 FPS Max is 4.2 for 880 FPS That is for cast bullets
    Unique Start at 3.4 grs for 611 FPS Max 5.1 grs for 896 FPS
    Jacketed
    Unique, Start 4.7 grs for 645 FPS. Max 5.0 grs for 710 FPS
    I do not use the max loads for my 38s as one is a Colt SA and the other is a snubbie.
    I do use a 180 gr cast FP bullet for my 92 clone carbine and take feral hogs an Javalinas with that cartridge. The SA and the snubbie handle that bullet weight just fine and as the powder capacity of the case is small I can seat the bullets to spec length. For cast bullets I suggest you do not go over 700 FPS
    Last edited by mixmaster; 05-02-2011 at 12:48 AM.

Patriot
    I forgot to mention The velocities were measured with a S&W Model 15 with a 4in Barrel. Velocity will vary depending on barrel length.and some manufactures bore dimensions will vary also. The reason I talk like this is I was once on the AF pistol team and all of this was critical for accuracy and you get paranoid about your ammo. So sorry if I sound like a know it all just trying to help.
    Mix

Patriot
    Almost did a double post here sorry guys
    Mix
    Last edited by mixmaster; 05-02-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mixmaster View Post
    I forgot to mention The velocities were measured with a S&W Model 15 with a 4in Barrel. Velocity will vary depending on barrel length.and some manufactures bore dimensions will vary also. The reason I talk like this is I was once on the AF pistol team and all of this was critical for accuracy and you get paranoid about your ammo. So sorry if I sound like a know it all just trying to help.
    Mix
    What a "Know it all"...geez
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Patriot
    Thanls Humpy . Coming from you I look at as a great compliment right up there with Timmy and The Big O!
    Mix

I use 3.4 of bullseye with a 146 SWC gas check bullet.

Patriot
    That's a standard loading for 148gr and a very good one coming out of K 38 S&W I have used it and once you are on you make a hole with your first shot and then enlarge it a little with the next 4. Recoil is very moderate with this loading. I backed off of 3.5 grs when my K started showing leading 3.4 made quite a change. I do not use gas checks with it. So it is possible to increase your powder charge as you are not leading the barrel with the gas checked bullet.
    Mix