Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Say what?

Say what?

There seems to be no end to the strange discussions happening over there lately, or maybe its getting to me.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=64670

Am I the only one that does not remove every molecule of cosmoline from the metal parts of a rifle? Get all that you can, but spit shining the parts is a little OCD?

Maybe I am the only one.

I've used it to clean surplus rifles before - not a big deal really.

Eli

I just sold a FAL kit with the cosmo/oil patina we love on the M1's. It's his now but I hope he doesn't decide to deep clean it. I cleaned the selector on that kit with solvent and it became plain old gray.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

I've used carb cleaner for years as part of my cleaning regimine.

I usually just wipe them down with Rem Oil and go on. A few years back I bought one of those Greek return 1903's that was packed in protective grease. Fired up a old Turkey fryer, tied all the small parts to a string and dropped them in boiling water.
    Few minutes later pulled them out and were spotless, metal is hot so all water immediatly evaporates
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

How many people each year drop a frozen turkey in a fryer? They never learn.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    I usually just wipe them down with Rem Oil and go on. A few years back I bought one of those Greek return 1903's that was packed in protective grease. Fired up a old Turkey fryer, tied all the small parts to a string and dropped them in boiling water.
    Few minutes later pulled them out and were spotless, metal is hot so all water immediatly evaporates
    Gives the turkey a delicious flavor too! Yummy YUM!
    Photobucket

"Opinions are like a$$holes. Everybody has one and everyone else's stinks."

Cal30M1 , Garbageman Supreme

I assume the water from the fryer was disposed of in an eco-friendly fashion? Obama2012

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    I assume the water from the fryer was disposed of in an eco-friendly fashion? Obama2012
    Oh,I'm sure it was
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Patriot
    I just use Hoppes 9 to clean up the cosmo. I've heard that GI's used to take them into a hot shower and that disolves the cosmo too, but I've never tried it. I did try brake cleaner on some carbine parts, but I didn't like the residue it left. I don't think I've used carb cleaner on anything but carbs. I always dispose of all my gun cleaning solvents and stock refinishers in an eco friendly manner. I figure that everything came from the Earth at some point, so it can just as easily go back to the Earth.