Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Watching Gold Rush, yah, you guessed it, my government is a bunch of losers.

Founding Member
    Having been through the initial MSHA training and several annual updates I can tell you that the safety training is pretty simple.

The inspectors can find a violation ANYWHERE! Something as minor as a loose bolt on a railing is grounds for a citation and fine.

That being said, if you've been mining for 30 years it shouldn't be too difficult to follow enough of the rules to avoid being shut down. I didn't see the episode so am not sure what violations they had.

Dakota Fred should fall into the "glory hole".

Quote Originally Posted by sandsnow View Post
    dakota Fred - Kim kardashian of the mining world

Hoffmans - Can anybody really be that clueless?

Parker - I'm pulling for the kid

That "kid" is mature WAY beyond his years.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Either that or the other kids are not up to snuff with the maturity level.

It might be fun to watch the cast from Dealiest Catch run a mine.
    !

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    There's one person who will never look for a govt handout.

WHERE GOOD PEOPLE HAVE GUNS, EVIL DARES NOT TREAD. Mark Muller

huh. and here I was thinking that those gvt bureaucracies are what create jobs for people like me...

Patriot
    I saw that show too and thought basically the same thing. If this Government Agency is so necessary to keep these mines working safely, then why do they have an inspector come in one day, tell them what is wrong and then tell them that they need an instructer to come back and teach them about the problems? Why couldn't one person be doing the job of both? When the inspector shows up and ties up the mine for a day's worth of work, he should be knowledgable enough to point out the violation, teach the proper remedy, and then be sure the fix is made. Most of these "violations" were very minor and could be fixed within the same day. Instead, they close these mines down for 3 or more days while the repairs are made, another guy shows up to do the training, and then the inspector comes back to be sure the changes were made. Total waste of time, resources and money.

I'm pulling for the Kid too. Dakota Fred is a jerk. The Hoffman's are clueless and spending more than they make.

Founding Member
    I saw the re-run of the episode last night.

The violations didn't shut down the mines, but rather the lack of MSHA approved safety training. I'll say it again, the inspectors WILL find violations, 100% of the time. All are considered equal in severity. When you hear of a below-ground mine having 100's of violations a year the media portrays it like the mine was destined to have a fatality. The reality is a loose bolt, loose safety cage, no parking brake set in a vehicle, no seatbelt worn on the property, etc will get you a violation.

As an example I had to carry with my my MSHA training certificate, ear plugs, first aid supplies, as well as have a hard hat and steel toed boots. If I did not carry my paperwork the operation would have been cited and fined. I wasn't even an employee but rather a volunteer supervising fossil collection in the pit. The drag-lines were at least a 1/4 mile from our location at the closest.

Because I walked around within the confines of a surface mining operation (absolutely nowhere near the actual operation) I had to go through the same safety training that below ground miners go through. The fact that the Schnabel's mine had not been inspected before says more for the inspection process rather than the people running the mine.

So what if the show brought them into the attention of the MSHA inspectors... you go on national tv and don't expect to be in the limelight??? It's not rocket science, you KNOW inspections take place but think you are above board and do not qualify?

HELLO... this is the Whatever Channel calling can we film you? Sure, let me get my shit straight before you guys get here.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    When I was a coal miner I couldn't wait for re-certification...all those cool safety videos were classic...once EVERY year wasn't near enough...LOL

Matt,I agree about the violations.We received them EVERY time we were inspected!
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Founding Member
    Damn Humpi, I learn more about you everyday!

I find it curious that someone can tell a free man how to dig the dirt on his land. I find it curious that someone can tell you ANYTHING about ANYTHING unless the thing being said infringes upon another person's freedoms. Do mining operations force people to work for them? If that is what the Schnabels are doing then by all means, let's inspect that mine. If however, the Schnabels are inviting other free men to come and work for them at their own free will, then this is absolutely upside down. osha, msha or any "sha" is absolutely some panty waist, sissy state, moronic, no good, uneducated voter wanting, way of meddling in a free man's affairs.

Get a grip people, when we are on someone else's land to work, we can do two things;
    1. We can work and shut the hell up.
    2. We can be aghast by what we are asked to do and leave.

We cannot tell the host that they must cater to our whim and serve us the home cooking we are accustomed to. If you believe that, I'll pray for you.