Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosin Nagant

Mosin Nagant

http://sovereignguns.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=340

thinking about picking one of these up. Any tips on what I should look for?

about a gazillion of these were made. very, very few rare dates and variants out there and they aren't going to turn up in a $87 luck of the draw.

if you are going to be able to hand pick your own, just take a bore light. all the ammo for these is corrosive and mosr haven't been cleaned since the day they left the factory. don't expect a nice bore, but don't take a sewer pipe if you don't have to

I am more concerned with getting one in good shape. I do plan on hand picking one. I don't have gages so I was curious if there was a way to do a kind of ghetto head space. Also wondering if there were obvious things to watch out for other then the bore.

I've had literally dozens of these (as well as other MN variants - M44, M38, M39, etc) I've never had any head space or function issues. remember, these things are glorified clubs that happen to also launch a projectile. there is nothing pretty about them. the stocks are junk wood with junk finish (usually peeling and cracking). Most of them have wedge repairs in the butt end and some handguard repairs. the repairs are fairly well done and i've never had one fail, but I do tend to look for wood with fewer, or no, repairs in them.

here's a great site with lots of good info.

http://7.62x54r.net/

which reminds me. this is one a pretty funny list that only a nagant owner will ever really get

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

I have some Mosins that go back to 1896 or so. I still shoot them. Do they headspace? With a rimmed cartridge, does it matter?
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

I've got a handful of pre-1899 M39s.

My buddy Stan has a few, including a PU. Anyway, after a range trip we decided to clean one. I always put a small dab of grease on the locking lugs on my bolt guns. I did on his all serial # matching 91/30 and worked the bolt a few times. I found the grease undisturbed. The lugs don't contact the receiver. The bolt is held in battery by the bolt handle. Very safe design. Russian engineering and quality control at it's best.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Junior Cadet
    If you have the dough, I would try and swing for a Finnish M39. These are really neat rifles, lots of history, only about 130,000 or so made, and they just look awesome. They can still be had for around 300-400, even Southern Ohio Gun has VKT M39's for $229+ shipping, which is where I got mine.